Amc 360 oil problem?

Oh, the 409. Man, a friend of mine is building a 63 ss impala and is looking for a 409. NONE in our area at all. I think I would like either 396 or the 427. Never been in one but just like the sound of 4...2....7! BB.

superj said:
Yup, 426, 427, or 428 would be cool. What are those, 8 liters, or something near that

Used to rock a 427 cobra jet. It's a royal pain to get parts for, on top of being way to temperamental. Ive never messed with the other two, but they have to be easier to work on. Lol anything has to be easier than that nightmare

Oh, the 409. Man, a friend of mine is building a 63 ss impala and is looking for a 409. NONE in our area at all. I think I would like either 396 or the 427. Never been in one but just like the sound of 4...2....7! BB.
That's funny, I've got a friend building a 63 Impala but it's not an SS. The 409 I missed out on was a cool story. There was an old man that had a bunch of old heavy equipment, years ago he had a construction business. He died and they had an auction. One guy bought all the equipment for scrap. They were going through the junk seeing what they'd haul off first and came accross this old dump truck. They raised the hood and thought they'd found a 348 in it. So the guy pulled it and was gonna try and sell it to the rat rod crowd. They checked further and found it was not a 348 but a 409. So he basicly bought the 409 for scrap price, pennys on the pound.

geeeez!! I couldnt have that kind of luck if I tried to buy it... for thoughs not in the know.. That is a very, very pricey engine these days if you can find one..

I believe a 290 will also bolt up to any amc 258-401 pattern trans. I think it has a different deck height for the heads so people think it's a totally different block but my research tells me it's the same bolt pattern. I think the 343 was used mainly in ih scouts.

290, 343, 390 have a different crank flange (flat with no centering ridge) same as '71 401, 304 and rare 360. '72 up have the same looking crank flange as the 6 cyls with the same pattern. Early 6 cyls ('71 and older) are a small bell, including the first production 258s.
You need an adapter to hook the early motors to later trans (I found one for $200 to put my 290 in my Honcho, but will go with a brand new '71 401 flywheel rebalanced instead and run AX-15)

Back