AMC 360 Rear Main Bearing Oil Seal-manufacturers (good better best) and any tips

Turbogus

Greetings all,
I had a few projects pending but this takes the taco for the time being.
I'm having to revisit the rear main seal, a local shop took care of this for me about 5 years ago but it seems to be leaking again. I understand the procedure as stated in the Jeep (printed by AMC) Service Manual but given the tsunami of parts manufactured in China (and elsewhere) lacking in quality specifications.
Does anyone know of a present day quality maker of rear main seals?
Also, if there are any tips for removal/install of these seals beyond what the Service Manual dictates? Although, that manual seems very comprehensive there may be some nuances that folks have learned of since its printing.

Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid!
Gus

When I did my timing cover, oil pan and front/rear main seals I got all fel-pro gasketts. They're good quality, may be made in the USA not for sure though. It's a simple job, put the seal back in the way it came out. You don't have to mess with the crank or anything. Iwas under mine the other day and my pan had worked loose and was leaking, the fan had blowed it all over the place. You may want to check and make sure yours isn't just loose. Good luck with it!

Thanks flatie, :) I've done this on a Ford 300, but being a one piece I had to pull the trans. on that one.

Last time I checked it was 12 or 13 mpg with the winch and Hi Lift and a tub locker box full of tools, but that was a couple of years ago and I think she's due for a tune up. Goin' to fix that oil leak first, then move on to that Contour/Mystique radiator fan conversion I've been going on about :D

Just checked mine, it's at 12.5mpg. I've been thinking something is a bit off or out of tune. Mine's a well worn 304, I've heard of people getting better mpg's from the 360. I've still got manifolds and the original cat convertor, If I ever get them headers off the basement wall and on the engine i'm sure that'll help.

Hey flatie, whose headers do you have? I'm waiting for mine to burn through (matter of time by their looks). I've been saving up for some Hookers (headers, of course) ;) 'cause despite their cost as I recall back in the late '70's when I had an old '77 w/304 with 'em,
I didn't have the hassles I have now with getting at their bolts with a socket or spark plug change (lack of clearance) with these Headman? headers that to PO installed.

Not sure, haven't seen a name on 'em ( prob not a good sign). They were in a pyle of parts I traded for. They don't even have flanges on them at the colector, may be for racing. I know what your saying, that rear bolt looks like it should ought to be an allen head no more room than there is on most of 'em. If Hookers are better I may check 'em out. Yea, a pair of Hookers I bet they'd rock my Jeep!:cool:

I think on the amc v8s you can just drop the pan and change the seal, on the 6cyl I believe you have to undo a engine mount and jack up the enginge to get the pan off. I use a small punch and tap the old seal out and coat the new one with oil and slide it in.

Yeppirs 69jeepcj, that's what I'm finding too, and it looks as though it'll be realatively easy. Just got to finish building the shelves in the garage so I can get stuff off the floor and then I can get started.

Back