Another Crack... Serious this time...

Gig

Well, this is the big one. On the passenger side, right in the middle of the skid plate, the frame has been severed, and the metal there is so thin from rusting that a patch can not be put in. But I did think of an idea that could probably solve this issue, and not risk anyones life in the process.

The steel for the brackets is 1/2" thick and is heat treated. There is no way for me to weld something stable together, that is why there are only tacks, just to keep things stabilized, and a "little" stronger, tell me what you think. Remember, I can't weld on any fish plates on, frame there is too thin.

Thanks,
Gig

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 246
Gig said:
tell me what you think.

I think it's time to call that frame scrap metal.

I'd start looking for another Jeep with a wasted driveline but solid frame/body and make one Jeep out of the two.

welcome to the desert southwest - NO RUST HERE!! and i know rust growing up in central florida!

Not a whole heckuva lot of rust here in Kansas. Tucson, AZ is totally rust free, also.....that's why there are so many airplane graveyards there. They'll keep for centuries and still be useful for parts.

My dad had a simmilar problem on his CJ-7, him and i took a torch and basically torched off the inner rail so it was "C" channel then took some steel rectangular tubing pressed it into the frame and took a sledge hammer and hit it so it would slide farther down the frame rail, then we welded everything in solid, its been that way 2 yrs and we do heavy rockcrawling and trail riding its held up through all of that so if you could thats what i would do to it.

Up here, we get TONS of rust. First we get all the acid rain from down south (Not pointing any fingers just the way it happens ;) ) And in the winter, we get the sand and salt issue. The salt is a natural born killer. Of metal that is. I don't really want to get a new frame, the rest of it is fine, I just came across this big one when I was inspecting everything underneath. I like Chapes1010's idea of taking a section out and putting in a bigger piece, that ought to work. Thanks

Gig

Yeah its really easy to do, i think it took my dad and I a whole day in the garage to do it. . . but the body was off of the frame so that did make it easier.

Your fix in the drawing might help with vertical loads, but what about side loads. It's not going to work there. I would suggest a frame swap (I bought one for $300). If you can't swing that, then I would still fish plate the frame rails. You will just have to use longer fish plates to get back to where the metal is still weldable.

Back