Atlas and Atlas II TC?

Robert_Stephens

Atlas:

Wanted to post a question to everyone that may have installed these transfercases, either model and how they like them, the cost, and install info and then in operation how they assess their performance both on and off road.

I am getting my Dana 60s rebuilt in VEX so they are out of the Jeep right now (using my AMC 20 and Dana 30 right now), since the 60s have 550,000 miles on them and needed updates and new sundry parts; bearings, races, seals, etc etc. When they are ready for re-install, I would like to go ahead and replace the trusty, bullet proof Dana 300 w/4:1, with the Atlas. I am leaning toward the Atlas II since it has the 4 speed TC set up.

Comments welcome from everyone and thank you for the input and help on this inquiry.

Robert

Atlas and Atlas II are pretty much the same thing, the II refers to the generation of the actual case, as far as I know, the old Atlas (gen 1) has not been in production for some time, so it would only be sourced used. Atlas is available in 2 and 4 speed variations. Stak has a 2 and 3 speed I've installed plenty of 2 speed units, I have not installed a 3 or 4 speed case. asside from a Stak case, you can not get a better unit than an Atlas.

I would doubt you will really NEED a 4 speed case. me personally would not get more than a three speed and get a 1:1 ratio, a 3.8:1 ratio and a deep crawl ratio like 8:1 or 10:1 reduction.

Advanced Adapters recomends Amsoil for fluid, and it is the only thing I have ever put into a atlas. some people swear by royal purple, it is a little cheaper, but I never have used it. install is not exactly straight forward, it will bolt up no problem, but I highly recomend a tail shaft support, it is considerably heavier than the 231 or 300, this would require the building of a subsequesnt cross member.

as for shifters, run what ever you want, I like the idea of cable shifters, but I have found it harder to find the detent on the shift rail to positively engage the gear set as opposed to a good ol' fashioned stick shifter.

Atlas and Atlas II are pretty much the same thing, the II refers to the generation of the actual case, as far as I know, the old Atlas (gen 1) has not been in production for some time, so it would only be sourced used. Atlas is available in 2 and 4 speed variations. Stak has a 2 and 3 speed I've installed plenty of 2 speed units, I have not installed a 3 or 4 speed case. asside from a Stak case, you can not get a better unit than an Atlas.

I would doubt you will really NEED a 4 speed case. me personally would not get more than a three speed and get a 1:1 ratio, a 3.8:1 ratio and a deep crawl ratio like 8:1 or 10:1 reduction.

Advanced Adapters recomends Amsoil for fluid, and it is the only thing I have ever put into a atlas. some people swear by royal purple, it is a little cheaper, but I never have used it. install is not exactly straight forward, it will bolt up no problem, but I highly recomend a tail shaft support, it is considerably heavier than the 231 or 300, this would require the building of a subsequesnt cross member.

as for shifters, run what ever you want, I like the idea of cable shifters, but I have found it harder to find the detent on the shift rail to positively engage the gear set as opposed to a good ol' fashioned stick shifter.

Wow, and wow! Thank you very much for the exact data I need. Excellent data and the information is perfect.

Question: in the latter above, then, you state it would be better for a 3 speed. I agree. Is that ratio available: the 10:1? That would really put it down there and is perfect.

VEX has a 3/8" steel cross plate for trans-engine-TC support already so that will be more than enough. I made this, when I rebuilt the whole frame with the 1" steel plate frame-lining.

Thank you very much, and answers forthcoming in advance,

Robert

Just google stak, I would post, but I am on my phone right now and do not know how to copy and paste yet.

And yes 10:1 is an available ratio

Back