Automakers Agree to 55 MPG average fleet fuel economy by 2025

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the big three have agreed to some pretty hefty increases in fuel economy in the years ahead. This is a good thing for the US and the environment, but I worry about our Jeeps (specifically the Wrangler). They're going to have a hard time getting the MPG up on something that's as aerodynamic as a brick.

I wonder if this will eventually bring a diesel to Jeep.

Major car companies have had a change of heart — and drivers stand to benefit.

After decades of fighting higher federal gas mileage standards, the big automakers have agreed to new standards that will require a average of 54.5 MPG by 2025.

High gas prices, new energy-efficient technologies and strong sales of small, high-MPG cars this year may have convinced the companies that the new standard — which is being announced today and will affect all vehicles an automaker sells in the Untied States — was both desirable and feasible. Automakers are already on their way toward meeting a 35.5 MPG average for 2016.

One reason Ford, GM and Chrysler may have gone along with the new regulation is that they got a lower standard for their profitable pickup trucks. The cumulative 2025 standard for cars is 60 MPG. But the lower truck requirement brings the overall average down to 54.5. (The White House had originally been pushing for a 62 MPG overall average, but Ford, General Motors and foreign automakers managed successfully lobbied for the lower figure.)

Meeting the 2025 standard will require much the automakers to sharply increase sales of hybrid, electric and high-mileage diesel cars. One challenge may be cost: Consumers often are reluctant to spend more for hybrids and diesels, even though they will produce fuel savings. Current high-mileage cars selling well include models like the Chevrolet Cruze (at left) and Ford Fiesta, which have traditional gas engines and are priced competitively.

“Even now we see low hybrid and electric vehicle sales despite high gas prices,” says Michael Omotoso, chief power-train forecaster for J.D. Power and Associates. “Consumers are reluctant to pay a $5,000 premium for a typical hybrid car.”

But consumer and environmental groups praised the new agreement, saying it would help lower prices. “The new standards will lead to cars that consume less fuel at an affordable price,” says Ellen Bloom, head of the Washington office of Consumers Union — publisher of Consumer Reports. “Consumers will be able to save money on gas over the life of their vehicles while we reduce national oil consumption.” Bloom points out that a Toyota Prius has already registered a 55 MPG average in highway driving in Consumer Reports testing.

On the technology front, here is where mileage progress is being made:

Plug-in electrics: Toyota is introducing a plug-in electric Prius which should be rated for even higher mileage than the current model. In this Prius, the battery is recharged between trips by plugging into an outlet or special home charger, in addition to the traditional regenerative braking charge while the car is on the road. Ford is also bringing out a plug-in electric version of its Focus this year (pictured at right). Ford says it will offer faster charging of three to four hours with its 240-volt at-home charging station.

Diesel: General Motors has announced that in 2013, it will bring to the U.S. a model of the Chevrolet Cruze that gets 50 miles per gallon on the highway. Ford is already selling diesel cars in Europe that are competitive with that number, so it may be tempted to bring those here as well.

Read more: Automakers Agree to 54 MPG Standard - CBS MoneyWatch.com

That's why I will never get rid of my current TJ. A Jeep that gets 54 mpg is unrealistic and would be terribly under powered.

The Wrangler Jeep as we know it will cease to exist if and when this goes into effect.

It is simply another regulatory control mechanism to shift power to big brother government...and reduce individual freedom.

We are not allowed to drill for much of our own resources, which leaves us dependent (vulnerable) to foreign powers as well. "One world order" are not just a buzz words.

Like my sig line says below: "Freedom Is Never Free"...but it can be given away...or stolen.

I'm still not sure why they made this deal. numbers show that Americans still don't care about MPG if gas prices are high. last year alone ford sold more f150s than all hybrids combined. that number may be skewed by fleet car sales and stuff but still.

let us have our toys and if we want to buy a more fuel efficient car then allow us the right to choose to do so.

Thee Jeep won't have to get 55mpg. The way I understand it the automaker as a whole has to have an average of 55mpg for its entire line. The wrangler could get 20 mpg as long as others from the mfg get enough over 55mpg to average it out.

I think it's not a bad thing. They are trying to increase the fleet average. So as long as the entire fleet has an average of 54.5 mph we're good.

To give you an idea of the fleet, here are some of the big sellers from last month

Model| Number sold in June 2011
Ram P/U | 21,362
Caravan | 10,822
Wrangler | 11,290
Grand Cherokee | 8,969
200 | 7,219
Charger | 7,215
Town & Country | 6,810

Full list is here:
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=11082&mid=2

While I agree that higher standards for newer cars will certainly affect their performance and appeal to certain buyers, I view this as a good thing. The jeeps of 2025 may not look or run like ours, but higher mileages and better efficiency in the form of alternative fuels will have one major benefit to us. One day, oil will run out. Not in our lifetimes, or our children's, but one day it will be gone. These steps help preserve that supply for the old jeeps so they can still be driven. Do I want a weak 50 mpg jeep? No. But one that exists 15 years from now may mean that mine is still running, and can keep running for a long time.

The Tesla Roadster makes 248 hp out of it's electric engine, using no gas at all. Who knows what will be possible with an electric engine in 2025.

We've skirted with the Jeep EV in the past, maybe it will make a new appearance.

Watch the movie "Gashole". I've always felt that automakers and oilmen were in it together, but this movie really brings it home. You can get it on Netflix. You'll never want to drive again!

For you Wrangler guys, you can always do the Volkswagen TDI swap. It's kind of expensive, but in the long run it may be worth it. I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep your Jeep.

We just have to remember not to whine: "that's not a real Jeep," when they come out with tiny Mickey Mouse vehicles with 'Jeep' logos. Remember, in order to have Suburbans and Corvettes, GM made tons of tiny little turd cars to satisfy the company's fuel consumption rating.

For what it's worth, we will still get to keep, and buy older vehicles.

I hate anything that looks like it gets good gas mileage except a motorcycle. All these cute little cars that I can't get my 6'4" 270lb butt into just plane suck in my humble redneck opin! My Harley just gets 48mpg. Gee, I can't wait to see how cool they make them vehicles in 2025. The older I get the more life continues to suck!

i think its great they are trying to get better numbers. i wish i could with this old jeep i got. i bought everything to convert to fuel injection last friday from a guy a few towns over. if i could swap a diesel in, i would. i hate getting 12 mpg and i will continue to do everything i can to try and improve my jeeps mileage.

(i don;t do it for the environment or the future though, i am just stingy about putting so much money in the tank)

I'd be surprised if it ever comes to pass. They can make cars that get 56 mpg but they're not anything that Americans would want or even be able to squeeze their fat butts into.

Back