Be Cool radiator mounting headache

PS89YJ

I need some information help, please. I purchased a Be Cool radiator and while it fits the spot and will bolt up the top inlet is right into the right side idler pulley and I might have 3/8 of an inch between the fan clutch and the radiator. The only way I can see to use the radiator is to remove the idler pulley but the serpentine belt would hit on the thermostat housing.

Is there a later year mount for the alternator that would drop it or a different thermostat housing that would give me the necessary clearance? Dropping the power steering pump would also give me the clearance to run the belt under the housing. I can't be the first to have this problem. This is a 89YJ 4.2 that I have added power steering to.

Thank You,

Paul

You might have the radiator set up for the 4 cylinder engine. I believe the mounts on the side of the radiator are different and the 4 cylinder radiator sets back further than the 6 cylinder radiator.

I have a 87 yj with the 4.2 myself. Kid I wheel with has a91 with four banger. The 4 banger radiator is deff much farther back then mine. Also it has a compl different Shroud set up too.

I've seen the 6 cyl. guys struggle with the Contour/Mystique fans conversions as well. It must be on account of the longer profile of the 6 cylinder motors.

Just to follow up, I cut the mounting tits off replacing them with a flat piece of steel to mount the radiator giving me a full inch of clearance fan to radiator.

mounting tits

I'm a big fan!

Glad it worked out, there are so many variations in teh drivetrain position in jeeps over the years that some parts will fit on one jeep, and some simply will not. I remember way back when the SYE first came out (and cost a fortune) I installed mine and installed a rear shaft for a YJ with 4" lift (which I had) the shaft came no where near fitting, I ended up using a shaft speced for a stock height jeep and even then it was tight.

Back