Been doin some thinkin...coils vs. leafs...

RayOvac

The past few days I have been looking at many pics and videos of built TJ's in action. I am personally convinced that coil suspension setups are just plain better than leafs. They just flex SO much more. Call me a traitor (I have a YJ) but it just looks that way. I think my next suspension upgrade may be my own custom link/coil setup. Granted they do have their bad side...ie rear steer. It would be worth it though to have that much flex and as a bonus the on road ride is better as well. Yeah SOA leafs sound cool but I still don't think they can match a coil setup. Plus with them you get axle wrap and the springs tend to get negative arch after a while. What do you guys think?[addsig]

I've got a dana 30 from a cherokee set up for coils... if you want it... name your price[addsig]

Where you at? Shipping alone would probably cost more than getting one from a boneyard.[addsig]

Easier yes...cheaper no way. I could convert to coils for much much cheaper than the cost of a TJ. Plus that I like the looks and feel of my YJ...I just would like to add coils to that for more off road ability.[addsig]

I was considering the same thing when I first went lookin' for a suspension kit for my 93 YJ. I looked at the coil conversion kit and asked about it at a couple of different off-road shops in my area and they all told me that you don't get that much more suspension travel with the conversion to warrant the price difference. I decided to go with the leafspring kit but instead of regular shackles, I went with the Revolver Shackles by Tera Flex. With the Revolvers, I get approximately 9 more inches of wheel travel which is a lot more than coil springs would have given me and it was a lot cheaper and easier to do.[addsig]

I am a YJ driver myself. I dont know much about TJ's but I do know that putting some coils in isnt going to give you want you are looking for. There is so much more to it than that. They are all sorts of bars and junk I dont even know that you would have to fab brackets and so forth for. Like "Craig" said. The revolving shackles is an awesome way to go. My buddy has them and he has a tone of travel. He is also SOA, but the same idea. I wouldnt waste the money and not just that but the TIME. [addsig]

yeah it just sounds like a huge headache of a project, not worth it for the minimal "benefits". i'd be kinda skeptical of modifying the whole geometry and structure of the suspension too... just for a safety/reliability standpoint.[addsig]

I Agree,

You're looking at a M A J O R project. Lots of downtime what with the weather just now warming and trail time is soon at hand.

TJ's arrived in '97. You can pick up a sweet little 97' TJ Wrangler SE from some little girl who has never had it off pavement for Cheap.

They are 6 years old already!

Kelly Blue Book reports a
1997 Wrangler Se
should show 73000mi
in good condition (not Excellent)
from a private owner
should go for $7315.00

Sell your YJ and the difference should not be that much

Just think of all the fun a brand new Jeep project would be !!!!!!!
Find a 4.0L in the boneyard and swap it in
Add some BIG meats
and on
and on
and on
and on

[addsig]

A little input:
I have "been there done that" on a lot of customizing in my years and understand that people have there own opinions as to what they want. (Right or wrong) I have never been the one to push my style on anyone. (Just share what I’ve found) I have though listened and learned new tricks from others along the way.
That being said: Coil conversions.... I have a 1989YJ and when I started rock crawling, it looked like that was the way to go. I did my homework and found this. There were two main companies back then building systems.
1. “Pro-Comp” had a setup designed to bolt in using stock holes. (It looked like their concern was fit first) Out of two Jeepers that I run with, they both had problems with performance offroad. One sold his Jeep to buy a stocker to start again. (Haven’t seen the other on the trail for years) The street ride was nice, but not worth the money and effort to install.
2. The other was “Black Diamond”. It required extensive modifications and welding and I know of one YJ that we offroad with who had made that choice. Now this Jeep, with this driver’s talents and experience (Maybe a little crazy too) can run with the best of them,(Meaning all those with leaf springs or coil springs and talent) It performs well off road, but it’s loose and it is a scary Jeep. I would never put my family in it for a ride, nevertheless take it on a trip and it was expensive.
More interesting is a fellow TJ Jeeper that has removed his coils in favor of leafs. He is a talented rock crawler that can out run most of us. His design changes showed successfully a different side of the flex theory.
Most all Jeepers we run with have stayed with the spring setup in one fashion or another. They have run the most difficult trails we know. Rubicon, Moab, Hammers and others and then drive as a daily driver. No question TJ’s are nice, but not the only game in town.

Finally: For the cost, effort, relialibility, and performance. My money is a good spring; proper tire size and brand, quality shock, removable track bar, and sway bar quick disconnect and learn to drive. In the long run your Jeep will stay safe for daily driving. Perform very well off road; be reliable and last for years to Jeep. If you really want the coils, buy a TJ.
[addsig]

Yeah I guess I might as well stay with the leafs...but I sure do love how those TJ's flex. I've done so much work to my YJ I don't know if I would be willing to sell it...probably wouldn't get near enough money for it for all that I have put into it. I've looked at some of the custom suspension setups but I don't see how someone couldn't just get the steering stuff, brackets, and arms from a TJ and weld the brackets to the YJ, swap the steering linkages and then put TJ axles under it. It really doesnt seem THAT difficult.[addsig]

Back