best lift?

rtoney9

I want to lift my 95 YJ with a 2.5" suspension lift. Does anyone know what's the best brand to purchase that doesn't cost a fortune? that will last and is durable. thanks

[addsig]

I am in the same boat, or Jeep, or whatever. I have an 89, so we have the same suspension setup, and I am getting ready to do a lift next month. I have been researching them all for a month, and decided that the Rubicon Express is the best kit, includes everything (shocks, sway-bar disconnects, axle shims) for $500. This is the standard duty kit, but will suffice. The number 2 deal was the Black Diamond 3.5" lift. I found it for $450, but not a complete kit. I have extended shackles already, and didn't want a huge lift, mainly because I don't want to modify my drive line, lower the xfer case, is ok, longer shaft and slip yoke eliminator, is out of my league. The rubicon express lift kit part number is RE5505. Do a GOOGLE.COM search on this part number and check it out. Let me know what you decide!

image-missing.png
[addsig]

The more I have looked into different lifts, I think that a Trailmaster 2.5 standard lift is the best for the money. It is about $500, an entire kit(leaf springs, shocks, u-bolts, etc.). I looked at the Rubi Xpress you mentioned, but I don't think that I need the shims and all that stuff. let me know if you find one better. thanks

[addsig]

I gotta question about lifts too. What would be teh best lift for a 2002 wrangler with hardtop. What needs to be bought to complete the kit. Money an issue (college student HAH =). [addsig]

rtoney,

The degree shims in the R.Xpress kit will be good for me b/c I also have longer shackles that provide 1.5" of lift already. So with the 2.5" from the springs, I will have 4" total. The shims will help the drive line angle and decrease any vibration and prolong the lift of my universal joints in the rear drive shaft. It also comes with shocks like the trailmaster. I haven't found anybody that has the 2.5" trail master installed, but then I haven't been looking. There are some owner sites for the RXpress though, and they all give it good reviews (little or no sag, soft flexy springs). So that's my reason for choosing the RXpress.

I don't know about a TJ, but I hear that it's real easy using 2" coil spacers. Look around, the TJ kit is usually under $400.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

one more thing, rtoney, I see that you have a hard top.... you might want to get a heavy duty/extreme lift package since your Jeep weighs more. When you decide on a lift for sure, call the dealer or manufacturer and see if having a hardtop will affect your lift. Might cause more sag than desired!!

image-missing.png
[addsig]

If you want a lift like that I would look into some lift shackles they are farely cheap and you can get the greasable kind that are supose to last forever, but it also depends what your gonna do with your jeep, if you just want a lift thats easest/cheapest way, if you want some flexy stuff your gonna pay a lot more, or you can do what I did and get disconects for everything that limits articulation

good luck

Marc[addsig]

Hi C, are the shims really necessary for me. I do not do a lot of off roading, but I hunt and like to play in moderation when the weather is right. I need to be able to get back into my old hunting spots. Also, what is the highest lift that I can use that I will not have to lwr the TC, lengthen DS, etc.... thanks for the Hard top info on the lift.

[addsig]

I don't think the shims are necessary, but it will increase the life of your universal joints (u-joints). They are nothing to put in, they literally sit on top of your spring where the spring perch on your axle is and are held in by all the u-bolts around it. It is basically a big rectangle washer that is sloped. They only go on the rear axle. If you eventually buy a kit that has the shims, put them on. As for the transfer case drop, I would suggest it, but then it's going to help accomplish the same thing as the degree shims, so maybe for 2.5" lift, you could pick one or the other, but definitely pick one. You must install a transfer case drop on 4" lift, but the extended DS is not necessary, it only helps. That's what I want to avoid, that and the slip yoke eliminator. As for longer brake lines, you might be able to get away with a brake line relocation bracket with the 2.5" lift. This just moves the anchor point so that they can move better when your springs flex/compress. Anything bigger than 2.5", need to be longer. You'd hate to have a sweet flex going when your brake line busts and you can't stop on your way home! If they're included in the kit, do it. Mabye do the 2.5" lift and a 1" body lift. Then your transmission and everything stays and the body comes up just enough to fit some nice 32 or 33 meats under there. Check out this sight. I found it helpful: http://www.jeeptech.com/tire/

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back