best place to get complete exhaust for CJ7

Sacredgroove

I want to put on a header...one in the $250 range. I also need to replace the entire exhaust. where can I get a complete exhaust system w/header? i see cat-backs everywhere but I need the pipe from header collector to cat also and dont see that anywhere.
I took the body off from firewall forward and removed engine/transmission/transfer today. while everything is out id like to get this done. if I bring this to a muffler shop with a header installed I think they are not allowed to install a non-stock system,so that is my dilemma. would rather do it myself any so any help would be appreciated.thanks! Dave

While I know this probably isn't what you are looking for, I'm convinced the best do-it-yourself exhaust is to buy some pre-bent mandrel bent elbows and some straight sections of tube and fit it yourself. I've used 16ga tube for this before a couple of times and I just butt welded the tubing together. It makes a really nice exhaust system that has the exact same ID from one end to the other and you can route it any way you want. Of course this requires a welder, but that's about the only real expense. It's a quarter of the cost of aftermarket, but twice the quality.

Find a......how should I say this.....shady garage that does exhaust work too. I have a couple around me that make a nice little chunk of change on the side building custom exhausts. Call around and ask, the worst they can do is say no.

Most exhaust shops will install a non-stock system. It's usually catalytic converters where you might get into trouble, but that's it. They will put on headers and all that good stuff it that is what you want.

RE: 2100 Motorcraft carb on 258

sounds good. i have a welder available to me at my fathers house(where the jeep happens to be taken apart) I will either go the route of pre-bent and self install or just do the header/collector and take it somewhere. have to put a cat on it to pass inspection, which the dmv is on me about anyway lol. it was originally my understanding that headers were not emmission legal but I found out they are(except in cali) thanks! Dave

Don't put a CJ replacement cat back on there. If they are the same as the factory one was then there's no point other than to remain legal for inspection. Those things only half worked for a short while, and they are a major restriction. If you have to have one, get a high flow unit, or at least one of those cheapo 4.7L models on Ebay. I missed that part about the catalytic converter in your first post. Like Wrangles said, most any shop will install legal aftermarket exhaust parts.

Back