Best pop up blocker and sypware blocker?

Craig

I've had a lot of problems with my computer lately so I finally go fed up and just reformatted it. I've tried a couple of different spyware and pop up blockers in the past. Just wondering which ones are best....and free. As for an antivirus I was told by a friend to try www.avast.com. It's a free online antivirus that's always updated.

RE: No Jeep yet!! but

for a pop up blocker I use AdAware... its free and you can update it whenever you want. The full version you pay for updates itself.

One thing you could try too is Zone Alarm. People that have a cable internet connection usually get a router/firewall for protection... I have a netgear wireless router, works great. BUT these routers dont keep everything out. Zone Alarm is a software firewall that is also free, and it keeps virtually everything the hardware firewall doesn't get. Zone Alarm will ask which programs you wish to let acess the internet when you first install it... like AOL instant messanger. You can check a box so it will remember your choice of allowing or denying the program access to the web.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Joop

RE: No Jeep yet!! but

i was just asked about firewalls today.. i've never used them... i probably should... i'm gonna look into stuff and see what is good

I use a mcafee online virus scan and firewall. I also use adaware and a clean up program regularly. There are many good products out there, those are just my choices.

LJF

RE: New Year

Norton Internet Security Suite. I've had them all and Norton is by far the best. Firewall, Antivirus, Antispam, privacycontrol, parental control and other stuff - it's all in one and works great.

I had McAfee and it is good, but it really bogged down my old computer.

Snitty - I cannot believe you don't have a Firewall :shock: Try Norton or McAffe for their free trials!!!!!!

RE: Questions on puttin a 2" BB lift on 96 ZJ

I'd disagree with XJnick on th e software & hardware firewalls - being in the IT business I can tell you that a hardware firewall is ideal. It WILL keep everything out unolessyou fiddled with it and open up ports incoming. Software firewalls are crashable, and slow down your computer. The hardware firewall will not dlow the computer down, use RAM, or crash (If it does crash, you lose your internet connection, if software crashes, you are open to everything). Having both does nothing. As for a pop up blocker, get the google toolber - no adware or spyware, it gives you a great search bar and auro fill capability, and is free.

Spyware is tough - I recommend Mcafee anti-virus (not the online version, the installed one) and it stops viruses and much spyware.

Norton and McAfee are great, but it costs money to get thier true greatness onto your computer. Craig, if you change your mind about getting the FREE software like you originally asked then Norton and McAffe are the biggity bomb.

Snitty, I hope that you Don't have a cable connection... if you do, and you don't have a firewall, I'm suprised your able to even open your web browser. People that initially hook up a cable internet connection without a router/firewall are leaving thier computer open to everything and anything. They can get your IP address within 12 minutes of your first log on with a cable internet connection!

RE: Jeepz forum kudos

Another vote for Norton Internet Security. I just reformatted my brother-in-laws computer. He had a cable modem, no router, and no anti-virus. He was ready to throw a way a 9 month old Gateway Computer because it was too slow. It had tons of spyware on it and who knows how many viruses.
I hooked him up with a router (wireless) and NIS. The thing runs like a raped ape now. And it's safe.
Now I just have to get another computer for his son's Instant Messeging......... I hate IM! Screws everything up!!!

RE: q and a

I like AdAware the best for spyware. Most pop-up blockers that you can download from the net usually have pop-ups or viruses in them.

RE: Jeepz forum kudos

nope.. never used a firewall.. and never really had any problems... you can get someone's IP within one minute... no waiting for 12 minutes... cable internet for 5 years now

RE: Re: RE: Re: Serious for a Change - Jobs

I've heard great things about Spybot. also, be very careful about the free stuff. sometimes it's worse than the pop-ups.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going newer... Got Questions.

I used POW for pop-ups before I got Windows XP and Mcafee Internet Suite. It worked pretty decent but you had to add the popups to a list. It was kind of a pain in the *$$ at first but once you went through the common popups one time it was ok.

www.analogx.com

I swore by Norton until I (and friends) had problems with crashed systems a few years back.

Hi,

Keeping your computer secure and free of trojans/spyware/adware/viruses etc is a multi-step process.

The first thing every computer on the Internet should have is a firewall. There are hardware firewalls such as most Cable/DSL Internet routers, and software firewalls which run on your local machine. Obviously, having BOTH a hardware AND a software firewall is a good thing, but at the very least you should have a GOOD software firewall on EVERY computer connected to your internet connection. The Microsoft firewall found in Windows XP service pack 2 doesn't count. When I used to use Windows, ZoneAlarm ( http://www.zonelabs.com ) was my favorite. I hated Norton and McAffe because they were very complicated and usually crashed the computer more than they protected it. :x

Next step is to make sure the software which connects to the Internet from your computer, such as your web browser, is secure. Internet Explorer does NOT fit under this category and (in my opinion) should be avoided at all costs. Browsers based on the Gecko engine such as Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Netscape, etc.. are good alternatives. Also Opera, and (for Macs) Safari are also good. Out of all of these my favorite is Mozilla Firefox ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox ) , which is very secure compared to IE and has an excellent pop-up ad blocker built-in.

Next step would be using software to clean up your computer should it become infected. AdAware ( http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ ) and Spybot Search & Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html ) are both good software to help remove spyware/trojans/etc. However, using a browser that doesn't readily allow these things onto your computer is a good way to make this a non issue (unless you use Kazaa or some other peer to peer software which also lets them in). I would talk about anti-virus software here as well, but I found it to be more of a pain than it is worth. Of course anti-virus software is a must if you use Outlook for your E-mail client, or if you have a habit of opening every e-mail attachment you receive. :shock:

I didn't mean for this to be so long and drawn out, but my main point to get across is that computer/Internet security is something which cannot be magically guaranteed by a single piece of software. Instead, using multiple safeguards, choosing your web browser and other Internet-bound software wisely, and using common sense before opening e-mail attachments, etc is a must to ensure your computer remains as secure as possible and clean.

This is one of the reasons why I switched to Mandrake Linux ( http://www.mandrakelinux.com/ ), one of the many distributions of the Linux Operating System ( http://www.linux.org/ ); it is inherently more secure and thus makes my life easier as I spend far less time (actually almost no time) worrying about security problems and more time online (and of course at Jeepz.com). :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

RE: tom woods high angle joint

how much system resources are we lookin at sacrificing to run these programs

RE: misc small tj parts and solenoid box cover

why not just use the SP2 or pop up blocker, or the google one.

the latter is free, and great.

YJ rectangle to round grille conversion kit

I didn't know that my internet browser made a difference. I always figured it was just a program to log onto the internet and they were all pretty much the same.....as you can tell, I'm no expert on computers.

RE: YJ rectangle to round grille conversion kit

Craig said:
I didn't know that my internet browser made a difference. I always figured it was just a program to log onto the internet and they were all pretty much the same.....as you can tell, I'm no expert on computers.

Internet Explorer is every hacker's playground. Guess I'm not the only one who doesn't like Microsoft.

Back