bigger tires

mudduck

I am pretty new at this but here we go! I hear everybody talk about the lose of performance with bigger tires, I have a 95 yj 4 banger and I was wondering how much power loss I would get if I went with 31, 32, or 33 inch tires? Also what about 30x12.5s or 33x9.5s? Lift isn't a problem. As for other mod's I haven't any. Any info would be good, thanks mudduck

[This message has been edited by mudduck (edited March 10, 2001).]

I'm sorry I did not see this before I replied
to my "hello" post.
I'm really suprised no one has answered you yet. I don't have a 4 banger but have many friends who do, so here is what I can tell
you. You have 4.10 gears, but to go to the
big tires you are going to have to regear
to 4.56s or 4.88s to get the 33s to roll.
You can go with 32s and keep the gears you
now have but won't be really happy with the sluggishness. The 30s and 31s should be fine for your gear ratio now.
This is all assuming that you
get the right lift to accomodate the size tire you want. When I started thinking about lifts and tires, I knew that I wanted 33s and
engineered the lift around the tires. Now
everyone I wheel with has no less than 35s
and I feel like a baby! Of course you can
always do an engine swap up to a 6 or 8.
There are tons of 4 banger websites out there
check them out!

------------------
Leah Marie
94YJ
V.P. Tucson Rough Riders
1999 & 2000 Female Four Wheeler of the year
AZVJC Member

Thanks for the info! You say the 32's will be sluggish, like how sluggish? Bad enough to not make it up semi steep dirt hills or rocks? As for lift I just bought 2in body and 2in susp.

I wouldnt worry about the sluggish part. Once you hit the trails you are in low range any way. I am running 33's with 3:07 gears. I do have the 304 but in 80 it wasnt much of a motor. Your 4 cyl probably has just as much kick as my v8 does. The big question on tire sizes is what are you going to do with the jeep. I agree with the other post about being the little guy. If you plan on wheeling at all go for the 33's. If you dont like the performance you can change gears later on. If you are in sand or mud you will have no problem moving those tires. Not sure about rocks we dont have any of them around here. We just have pebbles. good luck

------------------
80 cj7, 304, auto, 33's,

Most of my four wheeling will dirt paths and mud ponds with a few rocks and ledges. But mostly mud and dirt paths. Ok how about this I just happen to have four extra rims could put bigger tires on, so what if I put 33's on the extra rims and only used them when I was going out to play? If this is cool then could I get bigger tires playing?

OOPs forgot to mention, you won't notice
the sluggishness off-roadwith the 32s, dirt hills and even rocks. The street performance
may be where you will notice it.
You will be happy with the 32s for now.
I've never seen anyone with 32s not go the same places where someone had 33s.
It sounds like you have enough lift =4"
you can get the 33s on. If you go with 33s
then you will have to contend with the tires
munching up the fenders (or pushing them up)
I have put on TJ flares and while that has
given me alot more room it has not taken away
the whole problem. Some people go with the
flat fender look. I have not seen a YJ with flat fenders that I think looks good. But then I'm a girl, and looks are still important to me.
image-missing.png
This still won't help my
problem. My next step will be the one piece hood. So whatch gonna go with? My rear tires
(33x12.50 BFG MT) are getting near the slick look too! I'm looking at those
Perelli(sp)Jones
MTs at a glance they look like they say JP in
in the tread, have you seen them?

------------------
Leah Marie
94YJ
V.P. Tucson Rough Riders
1999 & 2000 Female Four Wheeler of the year
AZVJC Member

I think I'll probably go with the 32's so I can still run on the streets. Who makes a good 32 mt? I only seem to find 33's. As for brand probable dunlop or laredo, although these two have noticeable different tread patterns. the dunlop have the standard mud pattern"/////" the laredo's have a all terran mud thing "\\/\//" Any thoughts to which I should get? Just keep in mind I'm poor! Hey what did you think about useing the extra set of rims?

Have you looked into Cooper Tires? They offer a lot of value for the money and various tread patterns in 33x12.50
image-missing.png

I didn't think cooper sold 32's? I'ld like 33's but my 4:10's wouldn't hold up to well on the highway.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by mudduck:
I think I'll probably go with the 32's so I can still run on the streets. Who makes a good 32 mt? I only seem to find 33's. As for brand probable dunlop or laredo, although these two have noticeable different tread patterns. the dunlop have the standard mud pattern"/////" the laredo's have a all terran mud thing "\\/\//" Any thoughts to which I should get? Just keep in mind I'm poor! Hey what did you think about useing the extra set of rims?</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm currently running 31's on my 81 7 with the 258 I-6. This develops about 210ft-lbs of torque at 2000 rpm's (just found this info out tonight via another post) I have had more problems with taching out too quickly in 1st low than anything else. Most times starting in 2nd low is the best bet. Here we have mostly clay based mud. Wheel speed to keep the tread clear is the ticket.
I am looking into a second set of rims to run aggressive treads on just for mudding. I plan to switch these on once I arrive at the playsite. The second set of treads sounds like a good idea. Your road setup should have a smaller diameter than the offroad setup. The limiting factor as Leah said is going to be clearance of the fenders and contact with steering components during turning.
One other thing to consider with lifting the Jeep...this also raises the center of gravity making Pontiac's "wider is better" theme very applicable. Any help in the total width dept. is great. First hand experience says a tippy jeep on an incline tends to color the seat of one's pants in a hurry
image-missing.png
I've rambled enough. Hope this is a help.
image-missing.png

------------------
Deny
81CJ-7

Here's a problem I just thought about! I don't think that 32's will fit on stock yj rims? Does anyone know if they will fit?

Which stock rims do you have? They will probably fit, it depends on how wide the tires you are getting are. I have 32x11.5 BFG MT's that I am fixing to put on my 99' TJ. I went ahead and bought some new wheels because my factory wheels had something like 5.25" of backspacing on them. If your are the same you might want to get new wheels also the 32's may rub the inside with factory wheels when you turn real sharp. I was told wheels with about 4.25" of backspacing will work good. The ones I ended up getting only came with 3.75" of backspacing I hope they don't stick out too far from the fenders. Good luck.

I have a 1983 CJ7 with the wonderful 258 I6 in it and i have 33 inch tires they are 12.5 wide i am geared at 2.73s and it can bark the tires in first and going into second so you should be able to do 31s or 32s with no problem ohh yeah my motor has 134000 miles on it no rebuild and it is stock.

To add to the question... I have 33's on a 94 YJ.... I have stock gears... 5th gear is useless on the highway... I can not get over 55 MPH... I need more top end with out losing to much off road proformance... any help?

Back