BLM declares war

OutOfStep

The BLM has just released a management plan for Ironwood Forest National Monument (128,000 acres in southeastern AZ), in the management plan four options are outlined, two of the options include banning all recreational shooting. They also have done a **** poor job of identifying existing and historic trails and plan on closing many of them (if not the majority by number). Public access to public land is going the way of the Dodo and this is just one more step on that march.

They are having public meetings in AZ until the 12th, if anyone wants the dates and locations let me know.

Comments can be submitted to the BLM through AZ_IFNM_RMP@blm.gov
The "management" plan can be viewed at www.blm.gov/az/LUP/ironwood/ironwood_plan.htm

The BLM has just released a management plan for Ironwood Forest National Monument (128,000 acres in southeastern AZ), in the management plan four options are outlined, two of the options include banning all recreational shooting. They also have done a **** poor job of identifying existing and historic trails and plan on closing many of them (if not the majority by number). Public access to public land is going the way of the Dodo and this is just one more step on that march.

They are having public meetings in AZ until the 12th, if anyone wants the dates and locations let me know.

Comments can be submitted to the BLM through AZ_IFNM_RMP@blm.gov
The "management" plan can be viewed at www.blm.gov/az/LUP/ironwood/ironwood_plan.htm

I'll bet they hold public hearings, take input and go ahead and do what they want to anyhow.
that is how the government works...

Not always, but it takes more than one voice to change their opinion.
Back when I was in high school, we used to ride ATV's on one particular area of the Talladega National Forest. The Forestry Service announced a full and immediate closure of the area. They put up gates/mounds and enacted a ticketing and seizure policy. It didn't sit well with the majority of us who were regular riders of the area.
Rather than become renegades or get into a huge battle with the FS, we formed a club known as the Cheaha Trail Riders and approached the FS about getting certain areas designated as ORV trails. To make a really long story short, they made us all volunteer Forestry Service workers and agreed to make trails for us in exchange for donating man hours to the FS. We ended up picking up trash , painting guard rails, repairing signs, etc for quite some time. In exchange, the FS let us mark trails in a particular area with flagging tape and they went in with a fire lane cutter(small dozer) and cut the trails for us.
I haven't been involved with the group for quite some time now, but I know that they have at least 14 miles of trails, a new parking area and bathroom facility on site.
There is truth to the matter that a small percentage of people can ruin it for everybody by littering and not following trail ettiquette and "Tread Lightly" policies. However it is possible to reverse public opinion by banding together to show the BLM and others that responsible offroaders are willing to do their part to maintain the land that we love.

The same is true of the FS in the Boulder management district. They were going to close the Carnage Canyon trail. Mostly because of shooting, but also because of off-road vehicles.

Areas were declared off limits, but not marked. The FS used large logs in front of the closed areas. Most users (not knowing what the logs were there for) moved them and continued to access the Closed areas.

Shooters still bring old TVs, refrigerators and other garbage to shoot at. The major problem is that they don't remove the unwanted trash after they have their fun with it. Many a trail clean up occurs in the Spring and the Late fall and mostly by the Jeep clubs.

Since then, local jeep clubs have volunteered time and have shown up at public meetings. The trail is still on the chopping block, but the closure date keeps getting set further and further back.

I remember one area we cleaned during that project was a 3 mile long road and we loaded 13 pickups and one FS trash truck. Household garbage was the norm, but we also found a several appliances, sofas and a deer carcass. I also found some junk mail with the perpetrator's addresses and turned it in to the FS. I don't know what ever came of it though.

We've got serious wildcat dumping problems in this state, pretty much all the trails that aren't sponsored by a group of some sort are trashed. They (the gov) always seem to miss the point that it's already illegal to wildcat dump, so making access illegal won't really solve the problem; you'll just have all the crap all over and no one will have any vested interest in cleaning it up.

I'm still saying that they will eventually get what they want.
the problem is they (government) don't view it as yours and mine.
they think it's theirs and they have to protect the land from us.

I dont see what the blm wants to do with it any way. Thier purpose is not to save wildlife its to preserve natural resources. They could not care whats thier. Thier main intent is so land that can be mined by private investors isnt sold without a benefit to a politicians pocket. Until its time to sell it they use it as a political pawn for Votes. Who ever complains the loudest and has the best use that makes the politician look better choosing wins. Since we want to tear it up (thats what they think since thats what they see yahoos do) and others want to preserve it the preserve thing seems to go over better with most voters even though they will never visit these areas. I dont know why EVERY one wants to preserve something NONE OF THEM WILL VISIT, But they also want to keep us from ever seeing it ALSO. The only reason I like wheeling is getting to see stuff you wouldnt see if you didnt have a jeep.

Back