Bumper Hitch on TJ

Bond--007

Ok guys. So I'm trying to make the Jeep a DD and also use it for hunting since it's cheaper to run than my F-150. Here's my thoughts. I have a hitch basket I use on the truck for vacations and such. I found a small Class I bumper hitch that you drill the mounting holes in the bumper and use the provided spacers, hardware, etc to mount it to the bumper. Would the TJ bumper be strong enough to handle the weight of the aluminum basket plus the weight of a deer?

Why not go the extra inch and weld it to the frame?

The stock TJ bumper is very thin, I wouldn't trust it with any weight while driving. Make sure it's a frame mounted hitch.

Why not go the extra inch and weld it to the frame?

Dont know anyone with a welder:(

The stock TJ bumper is very thin, I wouldn't trust it with any weight while driving. Make sure it's a frame mounted hitch.

I looked at it tonight a little better. I can get some rigid kindorf that I can bolt together and to the frame and bumper together

NEVER weld a hitch. The personal Liability is 100% on you then ON EVERTHING. Welding your frame removes DOT certification and voids your liability insurance A bolt in class III is around 150 and adds recovery point that will handle the full weight of the vehicle, and I don't know of any REPUTABLE receiver type bumper hitches that would work, since this type is designed for step bumpers.

Here is a class II from Uhaul (Milwaukee pricing) a hundred bucks 140 installed

U-Haul: Trailer Hitch Installation in Milwaukee, WI at U-Haul Moving & Storage of Fifth Ward

Last edited:
**UPDATE** Surfing my local Craigslist and found this. The guy said he would take $50 for it

Trailer Hitch for a Jeep Wrangler TJ. Came off 1997 Wrangler, but should fit others. U-Haul brand. 2" receiver. Good condition.
image-missing.png

Back