cat converter mods

Junkpile

RE: Van for Sale; Runs Good

Okay, the catalytic converter on the 99 TJ is about spent. It obvious that I have exhaust restriction, and I've noticed increased exhaust fumes and underhood heat. I would prefer to just remove the thing, but I'm having some problems finding any info. The way I understand it, the second O2 sensor readings have no influence on fuel or ignition curves, and it's job is to simply verify that the cat is functioning. As far as I can gather, the only negative effect to removing it is that the check engine light will illuminate to warn you of a malfuntioning converter. Is this correct?
I would really like to know how to remove it without throwing the code. If the light is always illuminated, I wouldn't notice any other problems that it indicates.......so, what to do? Are there any devices on the market that will "fool" the computer into thinking the second O2 sensor is functioning properly, like there are for some other vehicles like Mustangs.
If the second O2 sensor really does just verify a difference in reading between itself and the front O2, what if I just remove the second sensor from the exhaust stream and leave it plugged in?

What do you guys think of the cheaper "high flow" converters? Does anyone know of a specific converter that is KNOWN to not throw codes in the Jeep with a high flow exhaust behind it?

RE: Fuel and TPS issues

You can find hi-flow converters for $100 or less, I know www.jcw.com used to carry the Catco brand that Rusty's Offroad sells. Be prepared to have an o2 bung welded in behind the cat for your 2nd sensor.

That's what I needed Snitty. I can't believe I didn't run across those! I have done numerous searches for info on this and was about to give up....I called around for cat prices yesterday and a direct fit is going to cost $230 at any of the parts stores. None of them carry high flow universal fit models in stock. I called a buddy that does exhaust work and he said that he sees alot of codes with the aftermarket high flow models when a free flowing exhaust is used, so that discouraged me from spending money on one.

I had 3 converters put on my 97 (warranty) and at 36001 miles the problem disappeared. Just installed the sensor back into the exhaust stream after the problem "went away". Never had another issue until I sold it at 90000 miles. Then the only issue was that I was Jeepless for a year.

Back