CB running on radio speakers

pizaba

Sorry. just saw this is definitely in the wrong place. Please delete

Sorry if this is in the wrong location. Mods please move or delete if I'm in the wrong.

Hey everyone,

Been awhile since I've posted anything. Mainly because I haven't been rich enough to get anything for the jeep in awhile.

So, a friend of mine gave me a free CB radio (Cobra 19DX III). I've been looking into locations on where to put it and what I should do. And I had a hairbrained idea of "what if I install it under the AM/FM radio, and figure out the wirings to where I have the CB come across the main speakers?" The reasoning for this is because it gets loud(ish) when driving on the highway AND I'm still on stock tires. I know it gets louder with after market tires/top off/generally windy day.

So, on to the question: Am I spinning my wheels trying to get the CB in a perfect place and wired to the speakers? Understand that I see a CB radio for emergency use only and/or needed gear for the zombie apocalypse.

Question 2: Is this Cobra even worth a damn?

Last edited:

Annnnnnd I'm dumb. of course this belongs in "jeep electronics and audio"

To answer this as best as I think I understand what you want to do.

No the CB will not fit there if it is the model I think it is
cobra19dxiii-1.jpg

the dash opening is only a din-1/2 opening, assuming you have an after market radio, staked on top of this unit, is will measure close to a double din opening. (basing this on measuremetns I googled)

I say just stick it n the side of your center console near the passengers knees.

as for the speakers, you can wire this into one of the vehicles speakers, it iwll not be any louder than the speaker that is in the bottom of the unit. the signal being emitted from the unit is not amplified that much (your radio amplifys the sound). plus when ever you wanted to hear the CB through the speaker, ou would have to turn your radio off or you will only hear mumbling. i suggest getting a speaker designed for CB's (plugs into the back with a head phone type jack) and mount it on the roll bar above/ to the side of your melon. I did this in the past, just held it on with a 2" hoes clamp. you could hear it loud and clear.

I am thinking out of the box a little and am not sure this will even work but.. if your radio is after market and has an aux input that accepts a head phone type jack, I would take two old pairs of head phones and splice the two jack ends together and plug one end into the cb output and the other into the radio input. put the head unit on the aux setting, it should work and provide sound to all the speakers.

It's a lot easier to just plug in an external speaker to the back of the unit. I have mine mounted between the speaker pods on the 'B' pillar of the roll bar where I can hear it loud and clear regardless of conditions. Besides, if you are tying in the speaker output directly to all your car stereo speakers won't their be a concern about impedance load on the CB, whereas a dedicated external speaker designed for this purpose will be matched perfectly. For example, the Cobra external speaker is rated for 15 watts @ 8 ohms; plenty of power handling capacity at the right impedance match.

Attachments

• P4240010.JPG
    P4240010.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,337
I am thinking out of the box a little and am not sure this will even work but.. if your radio is after market and has an aux input that accepts a head phone type jack, I would take two old pairs of head phones and splice the two jack ends together and plug one end into the cb output and the other into the radio input. put the head unit on the aux setting, it should work and provide sound to all the speakers.

Yeah. I was thinking that as well, some sort of after market radio w/ an aux setting.

Everyone else. I also agree with ya'll. I don't think it'll fit unless i ubber mod the dash. And why would i do that when I could just set up externals. hmm...

It's a lot easier to just plug in an external speaker to the back of the unit. I have mine mounted between the speaker pods on the 'B' pillar of the roll bar where I can hear it loud and clear regardless of conditions. Besides, if you are tying in the speaker output directly to all your car stereo speakers won't their be a concern about impedance load on the CB, whereas a dedicated external speaker designed for this purpose will be matched perfectly. For example, the Cobra external speaker is rated for 15 watts @ 8 ohms; plenty of power handling capacity at the right impedance match.
nice cage where and how much? just sayin.

i agree with abe. that's a cool cage indeed

nice cage where and how much? just sayin.

Thanks for noticing. It's a custom cage fabricated by the guy in the photos (see attached link) with the grinder caught up in his shirt. We used the stock modified and reinforced 'B' pillar and rear legs and built in with DOM tubing with lots of triangulation and gussets. Steve did quite a few of these for some local guys and they have all held up well in everything from easy flops to a couple of highway flips. Cost for this was not cheap at $800 but it's a darn good cage and well worth the peace of mind it provides.

Stinky's CageFest pictures from off roading photos on webshots

Thanks for noticing. It's a custom cage fabricated by the guy in the photos (see attached link) with the grinder caught up in his shirt. We used the stock modified and reinforced 'B' pillar and rear legs and built in with DOM tubing with lots of triangulation and gussets. Steve did quite a few of these for some local guys and they have all held up well in everything from easy flops to a couple of highway flips. Cost for this was not cheap at $800 but it's a darn good cage and well worth the peace of mind it provides.

Stinky's CageFest pictures from off roading photos on webshots
nice build looks like he knows his stuff looks cool and im sure its functional; hope u never have to know though.

Back