cherokee check engine/check gages puzzler

osnixpero

Howdy folks, I have a real puzzler for you to offer help with. The vehicle is my wifes 2001 cherokee with a 4.0I w/automatic 2-wheel drive. As the vehicle is operated, the check engine light will come on followed shortly by the check gages light and at the same time the voltmeter, sometimes all the small gages, will go berzerk. When this all happens the transmission seems like it has been hobbled. Normally the vehicle will start moving as soon as the brakes are released. During one of these episodes, the vehicle won't move after the brakes are released, in fact there is little power available until the thing is dropped into low and then walked up through the gears. I have put my code reader on it and the thing gives a faulty turbine speed sensor code. Ican clear the code and operation goes back to normal until the next episode. I have replaced all three transmission speed sensors and the ECM. I can find no broken wires that may be grounding as far as I am able. This problem seems to occure during humid days and when it is simply raining. But it has happened on sunny,hotter than hades, dry days. Any ideas?:???:

sounds exactly like a charging system problem. as loads are introduced the alternator cannot keep up and things go berzerk. And the trans requires good voltage as everythiing is electronically controlled.
I say before you do anything else. check all battery connections, check the underhood fuse panel for corrosion under the terminals. Then get the battery and alternator tested. Please post back results

Back