Chrysler production continues to rise

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
In February 2012, Chrysler again raised production (over February 2011) to meet higher demand.

<snip>

Over at Jeep, Grand Cherokee led production figures, nearly doubling last year’s output, with 20,113 made. Every Jeep’s production rose over February 2011′s numbers, with Patriot getting the largest percentage increase (more than double) and Grand Cherokee and Liberty not far behind. That’s 12,912 Patriots, 11,340 Libertys, 11,104 Compasses, 9,927 Wrangler Unlimiteds, 6,565 Wranglers. (While Patriot has normally outsold Compass in the US, it seems Compass will be the name and shape to survive into the next generation.)

Overall, Chrysler built some 208,642 vehicles in February 2012, versus 154,218 in February 2011 — a 35% increase. Year to date (including January), production has increased 34%.

From Allpar

i wonder if that trend will continue with the large increase in gas that we are having.

I think that the line workers are getting worn out. I read this article on Allpar:

Trenton workers vote to end rotating shifts

By a vote of 365 to 93, members of UAW Local 372 have chosen to end the rotating work shifts at Chrysler’s Trenton Engine Plant. Instead, employees will work fixed shifts, with shift selection based on seniority.

The results were posted Sunday on Local 372′s website.

Chrysler had gone to the rotating shift schedule because it provided 20 extra production hours a week without the cost of overtime. However, workers complained the schedule was causing health problems and issues with trying to deal with life outside the job, including family relations.

So it sounds like they are trying to return to normal hours. That may force production to come down a bit.

Yup, I bet it does. We have three fixed shifts where I work. The morning shift is what most people are on, starts at 0600 and is so crowded of you are not in the line to get in the gate by 0510, you are probably going to be late. The line to get in ends up being over two miles long. It sucks. But, 5500 people trying to get in at the same time with only four lines for security

Back