Cj 7 4 Cly Has No Power...

poppatello

Hello all, I have an 84 Cj 7 with the 150. I took it out Saturday surf fishing with a group of friends and I got stuck. I have the Weber 32/36 carb, 4" BDS lift with 1/2 HD shackles. 1/2" trans drop, and running 32's. I have the T 4 trans, 3.54 rears and D300 transfer case. The motor only has 34,000 on it. This is the 2nd time I have ever wheeled it. The first time was on a beach that was not so soft and I didn't even air down. I aired down to 25 psi this weekend and got stuck just as I pulled out. I had it in 4 Hi. Only one tire from the front and rear moved. Then I dropped her to 4 Lo and it just did nothing. I almost smoked the clutch. This has gotten me frustrated. I have had some tell me it needs gears, some have told me I need to do a motor swap, and others said I need to air down to about 10 psi. I have had some tell me with a Cj I should never need to air down. I have had this thing for two years now and I have never wheeled it yet. I just ordered my custom bumper/ tire carrier combo and when that comes in I planed to hit the trails. Now this has gotten me a bit of stage freight. What do you guys think? I know I have a problem with going up hills and bridges. I lose speed and power. Here is what I did the day of the surf fishing.

I aired down to 25 psi and got stuck. Buddy pulled me free after airing down to 20 and it struggled but started to move and I had to keep her floored or it would slow down and die out. Once I got to where we were fishing, I aired down to 15 psi. On the way out it was must better but still struggled. I really don't want to do the engine swap. Regearing is somewhat an option but will take some time to save. But I am getting different stories as to what it is. I just don't want to spend unnecessary money.

I think you may have an Iron Duke. if so check this out . . .

Iron Duke Performance FAQ

The only thing ia can say beyond this is . . . :bomb: LOCKERS:bomb: and Gear reduction. I had a cj5 with a 4 and LOCKERS . . . it scared me.

Back