CJ Coolant Overflow bottle install

dparish

I just purchased and installed a coolant overflow bottle (my '77 didn't originally have one). I have two problems.

1. I can't find the right size overflow hose to fit into the bottle. From what I can tell, the hose goes through the bottle and then gets clamped in. I've tried two so far and just can't jam them in. I've even tried using needle nose pliars to widen the plastic hole in the bottle.
  2. I'm pretty sure my radiator isn't stock so a hose that will solve #1 won't fit on the radiator nipple under the cap.
Any suggestions on how to solve this? What size hose is in your CJ? Anyone have to solve #2? I assume I can solve it with an adapter.

Here's a pic of the bottle I purchased from Quadratec

Thanks,
-Dave

Attachments

• coolant.jpg
    coolant.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 995
#Flatie46

I'm not sure how the zip tie would help me out much. The problem is finding a hose that will go in the bottle AND fit on my radiator.

If I'm wrong here and the bottle is supposed to have a built in "straw" that sucks up the coolant let me know. In that case I'll find or try and build one.

If anyone has a pic of the coolant bottle on a CJ that shows how the tube goes in that would be great. So would knowing the diameter of the hose.

-Dave

if the hose is too big for the radiator nipple, try sliding on a small piece of hose that will just cover the nipple, then slide on your larger hose and clamp it in place.

I just purchased and installed a coolant overflow bottle (my '77 didn't originally have one). I have two problems.

1. I can't find the right size overflow hose to fit into the bottle. From what I can tell, the hose goes through the bottle and then gets clamped in. I've tried two so far and just can't jam them in. I've even tried using needle nose pliars to widen the plastic hole in the bottle.
  2. I'm pretty sure my radiator isn't stock so a hose that will solve #1 won't fit on the radiator nipple under the cap.
Any suggestions on how to solve this? What size hose is in your CJ? Anyone have to solve #2? I assume I can solve it with an adapter.

Here's a pic of the bottle I purchased from Quadratec

Thanks,
-Dave
What I meant was, if you slide the hose into the small hole in the bottle you can reach in the big hole and slip a zip tie around the hose and pull it tight. The hose then won't be able to come out of the jug because of the big plastic cinch on the zip tie. You can then trim the excess tie.

Part 2, I'd go to Lowes or any hardware store and look around I'm sure you'll find something. You could probably take a couple of pieces of copper tubing, one that's fit's the size of the hose in the jug and one that fits the hose coming off the radiator and drive one inside the other and leave it stepped or sweat them together. But I'd say if you just looked around they've got a fitting that'll work. Hope this helps, Mark

Back