CJ Tub Replacement

cjfreak

Has Anyone completed a CJ7 Tub replacement? How hard is it and how long does it take?

Thanks[addsig]

I am currently undertaking this myself. Will let you know as soon as I start/finish.[addsig]

I'm doing a wrangler tub onto a CJ. I have the wrangler tub off the frame and ready to go. I'll probably start working on the CJ this week, and will let you know how things go.

Terry

[addsig]

Sounds Great, I appreciate any and all feedback on this topic. I am new to the jeep complete rebuild.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Terry;

How different are the body mounts from a CJ & YJ ? Frame the same length ? What mods have to be done to the frame ?

I might have a lead on a solid metal tub from a 89 Wrangler. I was going to go with fiberglass, BUT depending on the mods and such, this could be a interesting undertaking as well.

Thanks

[addsig]

Hello,

have seen this done before. From what I understand and have read the 2 rear body mounts will need to be relocated. Here is a link to a web site where a guy has a write up of the exact mod you want to do.

www.jeepsrus.org and click on the techinal link on the left hand side and it will take you to all the mods he has done to his jeep.

good luck............[addsig]

Done alot of reading on this, so here goes:

the rear most body mounts have to be "opened up" alittle.

the mounts in front of the rear tires have to be moved (or not used)

The other stuff to think about:

tailgates are different

defroster is inside the windshield of the YJ, but is separate on the CJ

gas tank opening is on the oppisite side

Why do it:

metal is harder than fiberglass

YJs are galvanized

a YJ tub can run around 500-600 dollars, I think fiberglass is around $1500

I've heard fiberglass tubs will always have electrical problems (although I'd think good wiring would overcome this).

In my case, the rear crossmember is rusted through, along with the side body mounts, so they would have to be replaced anyway

Terry[addsig]

Ok, now I am going to have to rethink this....

I agree, metal is the way to go, indeed.

I guess while I am deciding, might as well, send the frame out for some sandblasting lol[addsig]

Back