CJ will not idle

espysmith

In reading earlier posts, I know that this has been covered many times, but I may have a different situation. My jeep has had a carb change by the previous owner - I know its a Carter, but am unsure what model. There are no sockets for the feedback system, so I know its not a true replacement for the original BBD carb. I do not plan to use the jeep on the road, so the computer has been removed. The Nutter bypass has also been done on the ignition, since the computer is no longer in the picture. My problem is that the engine will not idle below 2000 rpm without surging and cutting off. The engine has just been rebuilt - got it running last night, so I know that the problem is not mechanical. All vacuum lines are either plugged or have hoses on them. I am at a loss, please help. Thanks in advance.[addsig]

I take it that you've messed with the idle adjustments on the carb. If you haven't start there. The other possibility is that you have a leak at the base plate causing the engine to run rich and die at low RPM. Try taking the carb off and putting a heavy gasket between the carb and the intake manifold. If this doesn't do it, look into timing possibly being messed up due to a vacuum problem. [addsig]

Back