cj5 wanting to stretch the wheel base

Ok I found that post... Hope it helps you decide which way to go.

[................. I know this is old, but I am in the middle of a stretch and it isn't that tough or expensive. Do you know how to weld and use a tape measure? Obviously the cheapest way to stretch a CJ5 is to use Dodge Dakota springs which will net you 10" due to their offset, but require you to mount your rear hangers off the bumper and use a boomerang style shackle. I am sure people will argue that, but let the people that have done it speak first.......

If you are a cheap ******* (like Me) go get a XJ CV front shaft and add 20". Granted this really only makes sense for 35's and bigger, emphasis on bigger. Anyway my biggest expense is the 10 spline CV yoke and obviously the gas tank has to go somewhere!.... .....]

so would you use the front and rear dakota springs? doesnt sound very difficult, but if you do use the front to get that wheelbase then I would think you would have do do frontend work to move steering components

im looking at stretching my cj5 too and came across y'alls thread when i did a search. have you completed yours? if so, do you have any pics? also, i need to know more about the cheap way to do this. on a budget myself.
thanks!
-greg

Back