CJ7 304 idle problem

peterblesi

Hi all,

I have a 1979 CJ7 with a 304 v8. I had the carb rebuilt (original to the jeep) and I'm now trying to set the idle. I set the idle screw and the mixture screws (2 of them) where it idles fine. After I put a load on the engine (drive it 10 feet), it will not idle.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong ?

In addition to the carb rebuild, i replaced the gas tank, lines, fuel pump, filter so i'm thinking gas should not be the issue.

Thanks for any help.

Hi all,

I have a 1979 CJ7 with a 304 v8. I had the carb rebuilt (original to the jeep) and I'm now trying to set the idle. I set the idle screw and the mixture screws (2 of them) where it idles fine. After I put a load on the engine (drive it 10 feet), it will not idle.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong ?

In addition to the carb rebuild, i replaced the gas tank, lines, fuel pump, filter so i'm thinking gas should not be the issue.

Thanks for any help.

When I rebuilt the carb on my CJ7 (4-banger), I ended up having to replace it altogether. I found the bushing for the throttle shaft where it goes into the body of the carb was slightly oval from wear, and every time I stepped on the gas even a little, it would allow air in, throwing everything out of whack. When your carb was rebuilt, they should have replaced that bushing to make it airtight. I would say check that first. You may have to pull the carb off to get a good look at it. Since I didn't have the tools to remove and replace that bushing, I found it was easier to buy a rebuilt carb and send back my core.

are you letting it warm up before adjusting the idle and mixture screws?

what are your screws set at?

superj: i am letting it warm up before the adjustments. the idle mixture screws are set at about 2 1/2 - 3 turns out. turning them in further causes the idle to drop about 50 rpm's and not nearly as smooth.

what is the screw on the throttle arm set too and your time set too?

superj: are you talking about the idle screw on the throttle link ? If so, it's set in the middle. i have it set so it idles at 700 - 750 after it's warmed up. as for the timing, i believe it's set to 5 deg btc (to spec).

Back