CJ7 Frame

james5454

I am restoring my 1985 CJ7 and I have the original frame. The problem is back near the rear wheel on the drivers side on the inside of the frame it has a rust hole. No too big, but more than I would like. I was thinking about taking it to a shop to have someone weld it up/fix it. There are a couple other problems like the nuts on the inside of the frame are rusted loose. Just simple stuff. My question is are there places that restore frames? Is it worth the time and money to fix? I was going to buy a new frame but at $2,800 I'll entertain the idea of fixing my frame. And what is the best way to clean the inside of the frame out and what are good products to use on the inside/outside of the frame to keep from rusting? I know there is a lot in just a little paragraph, but any information is a big help. Thank you. Area is parkersburg, wv

My brother had the back section of his jeep frame repaired back by the rear spring hanger and it was $500.00 the cut out the bad section and welded in new and made a new shackle hanger. If you can weld I would do it myself. A offroad shop or welding shop should be able to do it.

Many use POR paint to stop and protect from rusting. My understanding their silver POR is the most effective. First clean inside send out then coat inside and out.

If you do pressure wash it, make sure that it's really dry before painting or sealing it up.

I've used POR for years and like it.
I've heard of people tying rags to strings, cutting an opening, and pulling the paint covered rags through the inside of the frame. Sounds like a mess to me, but I'm not sure of any other way to do it. Por 15 is really nasty if you get it on your skin - it will not come off.

Yeah I was looking and it's just a can of stuff. Looks like it would be hard to apply and get it on everything. The pressure washer just seems like it could get all the rocks and dry mud out of it

If you have openings of some sort at each end of your frame then it might work, but if you just have a hole at one end I suspect that you end up just packing a bunch of mud into the far end of your frame.

You may want to drill a small hole at a low point in the frame to let the water drain out.

I have rocks and 30 year old mud packed in there. Hence the rust spot. But it's just not seeming as easy to get it out as it was collecting it

Back