CJ7 slop in the steering

bayne

I have a 1986 CJ7 it has a 4 banger. steering wheel has been replaced with a small steering wheel.This cj has soooo much slop in the steering its almost impossible to keep in one lane.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the easiest way to start would be to have someone sit in the Jeep (parking brake on, wheels chocked) and turn the wheel back and forth. You should be able to identify some part that's either worn out (i.e. tie rods), or broken (steering box broken loose from the frame).

If you don't have anyone else, you can just setup a camcorder / iphone / etc and make a movie when you cycle the steering.

I'm inclined to go with Terry's recommendation. Can you define "slop" a little better? Is more of lack/delay in response to turning the steering wheel or is it more like wandering down the road? Another good trouble shooting test is (with the engine on if you have power steering) first secure the vehicle with chocked wheels and then grab the intermediate steerring shaft (inside the engine compartment just below the universal joint) and try to turn it from side to side (rotational), as while as pushing and pulling (mechinical looseness). There will be some free play but it should be at a minimum.

Thanks Guys, ill do some checking today. Its more like wondering down the road. If the tires catch a groove in pavement it just goes with it. I just bought this jeep Ive had a Cj5 and a rubicon but this is a project. I have a lot of things i want to do yo it just a little overwelmed with this one. As we all know when you buy a used vehicle the seller didnt tell all the truth. It will all work out ill have lots of questions.Thanks again

After the visual inspection, I would check my caster angle. Wandering is common with CJ's that have supension and/or shackle lifts. It can be fixed......

focus on the tierods, the ujoint (bell coupling) at the bottom of your steering shaft where it attaches to the steering box, that joint is notorius for slop and can be rebuilt cheap and easy. There is a bearing at the end of you steering column right where the steering shaft comes out of it under your hood, grab the shaft just below the ujoint and try to pull side to side watching for any slop at the bearing. It is a plastic bearing and fail often. Check your shackle bolts that they are not loose. These are known areas for slop steering in cjs. Just seen you have 6" of lift and 35" tires, what type of lift do you have? spring lift only, springs and tall shackles, spring over??? do you have a dropped pitman arm?

Last edited:
Back