CJ7 vs YJ vs TJ

I just couldn't let the CJ go down without a fight... :shades:
Don't get me wrong, though. I like any Jeep with straight axles, except, perhaps, those new JKs. I can't get over their v6 and plastic fenders. Nit pickin, I guess.

Walks in with a big log...and a big grin.
Time to throw another log on the fire :shades: he he he :p

Ummm if YJ's are so great, why do they now make a conversion kit to ROUND head lights

Personally I think the round headlights over square headlight thing is really really stupid. There are parts galore available for CJ's and their always will be due to the popularity of them. Cj's have a narrower hood which makes it easier to see obstacles on the trails. Driverside Vs. Passenger side differential location ranks right up there with round or square headlights on the GM Argument Scale. (GM as in Genuine Moron, Not the car company thats about to not exist) Go find you a Jeep that you like and go from there. You will be MUCH happier acheiving an end result from a junker version of what you wanted to begin with than getting and working with something you didnt' really want but settled on just because.

Nice responce Boze! I would beg to differ with one point, however. If your CJ is 76 or later, parts are everywhere. Heck, I could, assuming I had the money, talent, and time, build a CJ-7 from scratch with parts from companies like Quadratec, 4wd, etc.

I admit that my Jeep, a 1975, sometimes gives problems, but 76 and later, I would say no prob.

sad part is, even if you get a 304 in the CJ, at it's best year it only put out about 150hp and got even more dismal as the years went on ending up at about 125 hp in the early 80's, while the 4.0 HO found in 91-95 Yj's is around 180 hp. Even non HO motors were around 160hp. Both engines get around the same torque numbers, between 220-240 depending on the year. so weight to power ratio would be better for the I6 in this instance.

A Yj with MPI will be far more reliable as a driver. both will have the same durability, but no carb to rebuild. you will get way better milage with the YJ simply because it has an Over drive transmission. depending on the type of wheeling you do, the 2.5" springs in the front of the YJ will be a bit more durable than the 2" ones in the CJ, again, depends on the level of wheeling you do. in the instance here, I think it is not a issue.
The galvinized body is a huge plus, especially when you have a budget and buying a bunch of repair pannels is just not needed, and in most states(like massachusetts) a vehicle with rusted body pannels will not pass inspection and will not be allowed on the road, so rust is a issue here.

round head lights, square head lights.. Honeslty, who really gives a fish hook, as long as they work.

all in all, do what you want, have fun doing it.

Wow! I get back after a week at sea to find this has fired a few people up. :lol: I'm really with the overall mind set though with the whole thing. Get what you WANT. It's sounded from the start that your mind was made up on a CJ, so get a CJ. I'm a bargain hound, so I will always go with the "best for the price" choice, which is what I was trying to argue to begin with. give me enough money and I could make a Samuri out-wheel any Jeep on the planet...does that mean that I would? Absolutely not! :lol::lol: Long story short, get what you want, have fun, and don't look back.

I am a CJ fan myself, no other reason than I think I just never liked the 87 YJ when it first came out, the 4 banger and the dash that appeared. I always wanted to hose out my jeep, just felt like I lost that when the YJ appeared. I will be honest though, the YJ grew on me and when the TJ appeared I just liked them all again. I still like not having to deal with the computer in the older jeeps, I have a 3/4 ton turbo diesel as my daily driver, that thing is more than complex enough for me, my toy needs to be simple.

Way to open a several-decade-old can of worms! I always wondered why the headlight thing mattered so much, maybe because you can't do this: OlllllO . Every time my car broke down, my friends (jeep-less friends even!) said it was because I had sqaure headlights - no joke. Someone mentioned a conversion kit, mind sending a link? I wholeheartedly agree with the dislike for the 4cyl. My first jeep was one, combined with the aerodynamics of a brick, it went from 0 to 60 mph in 2.2 miles. God forbid there was any sort of incline to the road.

Ok I've had all 3 .Here is my take.

CJ Love my 86 CJ7and the look of it, but rust took out the frame.

YJ I had a 87 and a 88 (why?) Don't like the looks of the front end good frame bad choice of rear axle. Dana 35 later models in the 90's had better motor's with the 4.0 Hate the rear driveshafts on these.why so short?

87-95 YJ's (No round headlights) the red headed kid we want to forget.

TJ Rubicon Love the looks, round head lights again easy to lift ,4.0.
this is what makes it the Dana 44's front and rear with lockers and 4:10's
the 4to1 transfere case (no long shaft like other TJ's and YJ's) and 4 wheel disc brakes.

JK A TJ that eat to much The Fat Jeep LOL Bigger Dana 44's but no so great V6. You can run bigger tires on these.

i agree i personally like the square headlights on my jeep. i am just sick of people complaining about yj's only because they don't like the square headlights.

Personally I don't like the square headlights but can tolerate them except this picture takes it just a little to far.

Attachments

• 3nb3me3peZZZZZZZZZ94db2a4941950b61570.jpg
    3nb3me3peZZZZZZZZZ94db2a4941950b61570.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 9,697

Personally I don't like the square headlights but can tolerate them except this picture takes it just a little to far.
Wow that's PIMP DaDy!. it needs a rolls royce hood ornament and some chrome curb feelers:lol::lol:.

Round headlights, Square Headlights... Kinda like big boobs small boobs, some guys go one way, some go the other... Personally, doesn't matter to me as long as I get some.

Who in the world would put square headlights on a Commando?! That looks disgusting!

I don't care about headlights, but that, my friends, is just wrong.

I think I puked a little, even.

ill throw my two cents in. I am kind of add and have had a lot of vehicles. Ill start with the oldest: 69 Jeep Commando, 72 Ford Bronco, 74 FJ 40 (with 40s!), 77 International Scout (35s and lockers), 85 CJ 7 , 91 & 94 YJ, and now a 99 TJ. I am not a crazy rock crawler but i like to go four wheeling and the TJ is the hands down winner of everything iv had. Its really ridiculous what this thing will do right from the factory! Short of ground clearance issues it will run circles around anything else iv had. I love it!
p.s. im embarassed for that commando. y would you do that?

Last edited:
Back