clicking noise when attempting to start jeep

pghpenna

Can anyone out there give a little insight to newest problem with my gals jeep? She has a 93 Wrangler 6 cyl-5 speed. I just put a new battery into this load a few weeks ago and thought it was a done deal. I jump started the old battery and removed both cables and the jeep ran fine, I figured the alternator was functioning properly and just needed a new battery.The voltage gauge on the dash is reading 14 volts and seems to operating properly. A few days ago she said she is getting a clicking noise when she tries to start her baby up. This problem seems to happen after the jeep sits overnight or for a extended period of time, It does not happen all the time. Although I haven't heard the noise I suspect it could either be a relay or a voltage regulator. After hearing the noise she turns off the key and tries to restart and it fires up and runs fine. Anyone out there have a educated guess as what the problem may be? Thanks, Frank [addsig]

Sounds like it could be the starter solenoid.[addsig]

I had a problem with my battery cables. They looked fine but when I peeled back some of the insulation I found them to be corroded from the battery all the way to the starter. Mabye that could be it.[addsig]

check your battery terminals and the ground. SERIOUSLY check the ground, not just make sure there's a wire going somewhere. follow it. i had the same problem on my civic, it took a while to diagnose, but it eventually KILLED my alternator because i put too much strain on it.

-nate[addsig]

Back