clicking noise

Jabez

I have a strange clicking noise coming from my engine compartment. From inside the vehicle it can be heard in the passenger feet well area.

The ticking sound is erratic in that it comes and goes and it takes about 5 miles or so before you start hearing it. This morning on the way to work it would actually go away for 5 or 10 minutes and then come back.

I changed the oil and the plugs and this started up. It is perfectly full of oil.

I have been wondering if its the oil pump or if it's the ignition coil rail. Really having a problem diagnosing this.

2003 TJ 4.0L

Could be the valve train; try running a a quart of ATF instead of a quart of oil and see if that helps... That will clean up the engine, and reduce valve noise. But without more details, I am just guessing here (this is just a common occurrance on Jeeps).

Lets see if I can provide more details.

The noise only starts after the engine is warm.

It does not click at idle, only above about 1500 rpms.

Does not vary in speed like I would expect from the valve train. It is almost a constant speed, but then again at 70mph my revs are 2200 or so. That not a lot of variance.

When not in gear it is barely audible if you rev the engine.

Yeah, I am thinking valve train too but from the inside the sound seems like it is on the wrong side.

Can you hear the ticking when you rev the engine while parked? If so, you can use a broom stick as a hearing aid to determine where the sound is coming from... It's the easiest way to locate the ticking (unless you need to be moving to replicate it, that is!).

So what do I do, stick the broom in my ear :lol:

Seriously though, I am guessing you are saying the broom stick will communicate the vibration...

Put one end of the broomstick to the engine, the other to your ear... Sounds funny, but it works...

Another time I had a clicking noise it was a broken sway bar. It wouldnt start clicking till I was going over 30mph. You say this started after you changed the plugs and the oil? How about plug wires, could one of those be damaged or not making good contact?

I've had a tap tap tap that I could only hear sometimes, at low speed - turns out to have been a rock in the tread of my tire.

Look under your Jeep for anything loose, like a wheel well liner.

Are you running the AC when the tick comes on?

Back