Clutch Hydraulic system...

XJNick

Need help changing front axle shaft assembly

Well I got the new clutch master/slave cylinder & fluid line kit today (one big piece) for my AX-15. It Looked all right. Then after removing the old hydraulic system (which is one piece), I noticed the new one doesn't fit even though the site I ordered it from said it was for '97-up TJs :x :x

So for now the old assembly goes right back in. Question: Does the slave cylinder have to be mounted with the bleed valve pointing up? Or can it be pointing down (which would give better access)? Also, how do you use this bleeder valve? It has a hex plug and it looks like you'd remove the hex plug and then screw in a bleeder valve?

I love proprietary Jeep parts :mrgreen:

Thanks
-Nick :!:

If it's what I'm thinking of, you don't remove the plastic piece. This is a quick release to connect to the external slave. You have to pull back on the pastic collar to release it, and just push the two lines together to reconnect.

i could not get my collar apart for the life of me.... i just cut it and used brass fittings... god bless compression fittings

I wrestled with mine for the longest time before I realized you just pull back on the plastic collar and the lines fall apart, duh :roll: I was ready to break out the angle grinder or sumthin' :p

Bounty, I know what you're talking about.

However, I was referring to the threaded port on the middle of the slave cylinder. It is a bleeder port (i've confirmed this) but there is no bleeder valve, just a plug in the port. I guess I'll have to go find a valve to use in that port.

-Nick

is this on a new part or an old part??? if its new, it should certainly be a bleeder valve rather than a plug

Well,

The old slave cylinder has the hex plug.

The new slave cylinder has the threaded hole with NO plug (It appears you're supposed to re-use the old hex plug)

I agree it is super strange that neither the old or new one has an actual bleeder valve.

As I said before, this whole hydraulic system on this wrangler seems wierd to me??? Plus, I'm having troubles finding anyone else who sells this "kit" (besides the dealerships, of course)!

-Nick :!:

Back