Clutch is squeaking....?

rtoney9

I recently noticed that when I push my clutch in I can hear a squeaking sound. sounds like it is coming from a spring or something. Does this mean my clutch is going bad, or my spring is old or what? However, there is no slipping with the transmission or anything. should I get it looked at or is it something that I should not worry about. This is my first manual trans. and I was wondering if any of ya'll could give me pointers as to what to watch for when the clutch is getting bad or about to go out. anything helps.

Well since i just replaced the clutch oin my CJ7, the squeeking is most likely the spring. Nothing major, but if over an extended period you feel the pressure in the clutch start to go (pedal gets soft) or you feel like you have to press the clutch down further to put in gear, be ready for some problems. I think typically your pressure plate will collapse first, but not always. It took mine a little bit before it went out, but when it did you could not even put it in gear. Hope this help a little. If it does go out your looking at about $ 200.00 for the parts.

thanks. I do not have to push my clutch further to engage it, but I do not feel it catch like it did when I first bought the jeep. Is this something to worry about? I sure hope not. I can't afford to have my jeep undriveable. (not sure if that is a word or not, but you get my point) :wink: :D

Impressed with Dual Friction

while I am pushing the clutch down. the sound is like an old spring.

My clutch pedal had also developed a squeak, but it was just the pedal mount making noise as the pedal was pressed. I sprayed it with a little WD40, and no more noise :D.

-Nick :!:

Well, not sure how much this will help, but when my clutch went I was sitting a a red light and I went to press in the clutch and instead of the normal feel I always had the clutch popped and stalled the jeep, I got it back in and when I pressed the clutch in it when way passed where it did before, to the floor. I could still drive it, but a couple days later I went out the go some where and I could not put it in gear. My mech said the cylinder went bad, but you may get the same effect when the pressure plate goes. Hope this helps if you do need it replaced, replace the whole thing don't waste your time doing pieces of it cause you'll just have more problems.

most likely the petal return spring... but if you are getting a noise in the clutch area inside the bellhousing... you might have a bad throwout, lets hope not

Vacum Question.

95 would be external hydro... which is a combo of hydro and mechanical

I am not sure.. but i believe the external still has a fork like the mechanical clutches, activated by a hydraulic piston

There is a good chance that it is your slave cylinder going bad. Everytime I would push my pedal it would squeel and kind of feel wierd. I just replaced my clutch master and slave, and now my clutch is quiet again. I got the kit from xtremeterrain.com Get the master and slave kit, It is very easy to change. But, before you do that, get under the jeep and put your ear next to the slave cylinder, have somebody push the pedal. See if it is that that makes the noise. Good luck! The kit comes out to $100

I had a squeaky clutch on my 95 YJ. Ignored it until the release and pressure becme inconsistent. Well, my mechanic just replaced the O ring in the master unit. The squeak went away and the pressure came back. But the temp fix held up for about 8 months. Finally got a new master unit in. Smooth as butter now.

Hope this helps.

Back