combination flasher/signal switch?

gardengirl38

Im in dire need of a little advice. I am having the following problems with my 06 unlimited. The sigals dont work, the flashers dont work and the brake lights dont work unless the hazzard button is engaged. The signal and flasher dash indicators dont come on either. I replaced the stoplight switch because I had a new one. not the issue. I went to Napa & they allowed me to try out a 30 dollar relay that they called an exterior lighting relay which didnt work. they had no relay that was actually called a flasher or combo flasher relay. The dealership sells the right part for 37.50 but wont let me try it. No returns on relays. My left multifunction switch works properly for everything except the signals. they do click and hold and cancel properly. can anyone give me any advice on this issue? Im poor so I hate to buy the combo flasher if its the multifunction switch. I called every salvage and used parts place in town no one seems to have one and I dont know if there are any other makes/models to cross reference

also when I have the brakes engaged and turn the signal on the brake light goes out on that side until I turn the signal off.

Last edited:
I don't have any answers for you man, im sorry. I just noticed nobody was helping you out here so I thought id just comment for ya. Electrical problems are my worst enemy. I hope you get it figured out. Do you have a multi meter? That's usually the easiest way to find out where the problem is. Just start where you have power, and work your way to where it stops, and there's your problem. Hope that helps a little. Good luck.

No pun intended with the "man" part. Its just how I talk. =D

thank you i felt a little funny talking to myself here ;-) yes I have a multimeter but im not an electrical person either i detest it. i did check all the fuses and they are good. i am going to check the wiring to both the trailer hitch and the alarm system and make sure there is no problems there.

Im no expert by any means, but since I seem to be the only one trying to help you out here, ill give my input.
Start at the fusebox. Test that there is power going in, and then out to each of the elements that are not working. You don't need to go all the way to the ends themselves, since we know for a fact that they're not getting power. Its gotta be somewhere in between.
Check the little doo hickey that the dealership wont let you try out. See if there's power coming in, and then going out of there. If its not coming out, then there's your problem.
Its a long, grueling and tedious process, but it'll be sooooo worth it when you strike gold. Good luck, and keep me posted.

I'm sure you'll find that there is a short some where in the trailor hitch wiring That would be my guess. But alarm systems do tend to real havok on electrical systems! Good luck

I would replace the multifunction switch for those issues. The symptoms you described is typical for a faulty unit.

thanks very much guys I did check all the wiring to both the hitch and alarm found no issues so I did indeed order the multifunction switch it will be in tomorrow and I will change it and let u know. i sure hope thats it... ive got nothing left to try :-(

omgggggrrrr. Okay I ordered the switch brought it home took the crap apart and its the wrong thing!~ The guy at auto zone looked it up and ordered it and I look at it when I have the other one out and its not it!! It has the same logo on the back and the same number pressed into the plastic but it has a different plug on it and the one I have seems to be all one part with the wiper switch on the other side. waaaaaaaaahhhhh. It seems like the new part would slide into the old section where the flasher plugs in but there is no way to get the old signal/light section out?? Talk about frustration. There is a video on Youtube thats for an 03 wrangler, the quality is so bad I cant really tell what the guy is doing but I tried to figure out a way that this one could replace the old but I just dont see it....

Last edited:

REMOVAL

WARNING: Disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.
1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.2.Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/COVER, Steering Column Opening - Removal) .
3.From below the steering column, remove the two screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the upper shroud Fig. 1 .
326954-1.jpg
Fig. 1 - Steering Column Shrouds Remove/Install

1 - LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH 2 - UPPER SHROUD 3 - RIGHT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH 4 - CLOCKSPRING 5 - IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER HOUSING 6 - LOWER SHROUD 7 - SCREW (2) 4.If the vehicle is equipped with the optional tilt steering column, move the tilt steering column to the fully lowered position and leave the tilt release lever in the released (down) position.5.Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.6.Disconnect the body wire harness connector for the left multi-function switch from the connector receptacle on the back of the switch.7.Disconnect the body wire harness connector for the right multi-function switch from the connector receptacle on the back of the switch.
8.Remove the two screws that secure the multi-function switch assembly to the upper steering column housing Fig. 2 .
328033-1.jpg
Fig. 2 - Multi-Function Switch Remove/Install

1 - LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH 2 - SCREW (2) 3 - SCREW (2) 4 - RIGHT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH 5 - UPPER STEERING COLUMN HOUSING 9.Remove the multi-function switch assembly from the upper steering column housing.10.Remove the two small screws that secure the right multi-function switch to the left multi-function switch mounting housing.11.Grasp the right multi-function switch control stalk firmly and pull the switch toward the right far enough to disengage the alignment pins on the top (1 pin) and bottom (2 pins) of the right switch housing from the alignment ramps on the left switch mounting housing.12.Remove the right multi-function switch from the left multi-function switch mounting housing.

You are such a bigg help thank you for posting that. i went back to autozone and we looked up an older model year and they had the part in stock and low and behold it was the correct switch. guess autozone has an error in their system. with the correct part it took all of two minutes to change out and i have signals and flasher horay! if anyone in the future needs this piece for a 2006 the autozone part number is sw3153 and its 51 dollars!

Back