Constitution Day

90Xjay

Today, Wed Sept 17th is Constitution Day.

Say what? Yes there is such a day declared for us to remember and revere that document that once made America a wholly different country than any other place in the world

You probably won't see it in the paper or hear it on the TV, but it is a recognized day.

I'll bet millions of our children will go to and from school today and learn about protecting the environment, alternate lifestyles and other subjects all intended to make them better global citizens and I dare say that scarce numbers of them might hear a mention of Constitution Day or even take a minute to try and teach them what it is about.

The Federalist Papers were a series of essays written by Madison, Hamilton and John Jay. These documents were published to the nation to explain the importance of ratifying the Constitution by the States. If you want to really understand the intent of much of the Constitution, read the Federalist Papers first.

The country was young and in order for our little experiment to work, the people had to be capable of self-government and able to manage personal liberties and responsibility.

The Constitution also called for limited federal government with many restrictions on it, resulting in the most free society ever dreamed of in modern history. Our nation's people have lost that ability to self-govern along with the basic morals that our grandparents had. Too many look to the government for handouts and they have sold their freedom for a bowl of porridge.

In an election year where I've heard many people say that topics like job security, health care, education, minimum wage, and childcare, are important for the candidates to understand it makes me wonder just where in the Constitution does that document give control of those areas to government?

I don't hear any major candidate talking about self reliance, personal liberty and responsibility.

Please pick up a copy of the Constitution, The Bill of Rights and the amendments, read it, learn it and hold all politicians to it's standards

Know your rights
Knowledge » Most Americans don't know much about the Constitution
The Washington Post
Article Last Updated: 09/16/2008 06:25:53 PM MDT

Schools across the country are mobilizing Wednesday to mark the 1787 signing of the charter that established the federal government.
But most Americans don¹t know much about the Constitution, according to a 2006 survey by the nonprofit McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum in Chicago:
» 28 percent know more than one of the five fundamental freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment: the freedoms of religion and speech; of the press; to assemble peaceably; and to petition for redress of grievances.
» 1 in 1,000 can name all five.
» 20 percent think the First Amendment guarantees the right to own a pet.
But: »52 percent of Americans can name at least two main characters in "The Simpsons" television show, and 22 percent can name all five (Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie).
Test your knowledge of our Constitution with this quiz.

1 » Why did delegates gather in Philadelphia in the summer of 1787?
a » To write the Declaration of Independences
b » To amend the Articles of Confederation
c » To write the Pledge of Allegiance

2 » Which state was the first to ratify the Constitution?
a » Virginia
b » Delaware

c » Maryland

3 » The first day Congress conducted business under the Constitution was April 6, 1789. What else did it do?

4 » What portion of states is required to ratify an amendment to the Constitution?
a » One-half
b » Two-thirds
c » Three-fourths

5 » True or False: The vice president is president of the Senate and has full voting privileges.

6 » True or False: The Constitution does not require the speaker of the House to be a member of the body.

7 » Who did not sign the Constitution?
a » Thomas Jefferson
b » Alexander Hamilton
c » Daniel Carroll

8 » What is the total length of time a president can serve?
a » Eight years
b » 10 years
c » 11 years

9 » Which amendment guarantees trial by jury?

10 » True or False: The House has approved an amendment prohibiting physical desecration of the American flag, but the Senate has not.

SOURCES »
''We the Students,'' by Jamie B. Raskin
United States Capitol Historical Society
whitehouse.gov/kids/ constitution/quiz/ ConstitutionFacts.com - Learn about the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence and much more!
quiz.htm

ANSWERS
1 » b
2 » b
3 » Count ballots cast earlier and declare George Washington the first president
4 » c
5 » False
6 » True
7 » a
8 » b
9 » Sixth
10 » True

What can we expect when our schools from elementary to University have been mostly controlled by Liberal leaders/politicians who despise what America stands for, or at least are history revisionists..if they allow teaching American history at all!

Control the minds of the youth and you control the destiny of the nation (my words).

I have a Masters Degree with minors in psychology and education...and a number of years working in and with school systems...(not to mention having to struggle with the public schools my daughter attended). I only tell you this because I have personally seen the flight of good teachers from the schools, while the bad ones are rarely ever weeded out.

I can honestly say that in many cases kids would be much better off NOT attending public schools, and being home schooled or going to a good trade school to learn how to make a living instead.

There are some good public schools and some private schools still around, but unfortunately parents don't always have access to those options.

Larry

What can we expect when our schools from elementary to University have been mostly controlled by Liberal leaders/politicians who despise what America stands for, or at least are history revisionists..if they allow teaching American history at all!

Control the minds of the youth and you control the destiny of the nation (my words).

I have a Masters Degree with minors in psychology and education...and a number of years working in and with school systems...(not to mention having to struggle with the public schools my daughter attended). I only tell you this because I have personally seen the flight of good teachers from the schools, while the bad ones are rarely ever weeded out.

I can honestly say that in many cases kids would be much better off NOT attending public schools, and being home schooled or going to a good trade school to learn how to make a living instead.

There are some good public schools and some private schools still around, but unfortunately parents don't always have access to those options.

Larry

and that is one of the many reasons my children are home educated

My 9 year old son did hear about the Constitution today in class;)

Back