Cool!!!....Jeep Diagnostic Codes without reader!!!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>This works great on my 91 YJ .... I have my 'reqd maint' light on and thought I would see what it was ..... well, i only got code 5-5 (end of codes) So what's up with that?

Craig</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It is probably the timer for replacing the oxygen sensor. Early YJ's had a timer that turns on the light when it is time to replace the oxygen sensor. Around 82,500 miles. From what the manual says about YJ's 91 & later it has to be reset by using a special tool that it says you can get at most auto parts stores. It doesn't mean the oxygen sensor is bad just that Jeep reccomends it be replaced which since it isnt very expensive would be worth doing anyway[addsig]

My .02 worth. Most all Chrysler engines will display or flash the codes with the key thing. You may have to try several times and vary the amount of time to go key on, key off. It should work. As for the the GM it works differently. You can get thes codes by using a paperclip or most anything else. On most on board computers if the plug in looks like the plug ins for GM products, I wouldn't try jumping these out. I think that in 1996 it was required by the government that all computers speak the same launage, this being OBD II. The key on/off thing will only give "soft codes" meaning that these happened during the last 50(i think) iginition cycles. I would say that if you do get any codes, it is best to reset the computer by disconnectiong the battery. The reason for this is there are alot of reasons a code will set. So, when you get a code write it down then reset and see if it shows up again. Also keep in mind that with O2 sensors a vacuum leak will make it read screwy. So don't just replace things just because the computer says it's not working right. I have spent more time hooked into the on board computer than I have breathing, I think. Just be mindful when fooling with these things, they will take alot of abuse but static electricity is the killer for them, so are some test lights and meters. If I can help anyone let me know. Hope this helps. [addsig]

Back