Cooling System Issue

mretuck

Hey there folks! I have a 95 Wrangler 2.5 L that has me a little befuddled. I noticed on the way home yesterday that my temp gauge was sitting rather low for the amount of time I had been driving it (around 100 degrees). I watched it all the way home and it rarely moved. None of the typical heat to 190 then drop cycle. When i got home I checked the hoses... top hose was as hot as expected, but the lower hose was barely warm. After the rig cooled I checked the coolant level, and it was satisfactory. I did note a squeaky coming from the fan area, and my thought is this: Could my fan clutch be stuck causing the fan to spin constantly which in turn is cooling the engine too efficiently to reach the temp required for the thermostat to release?

Thanks a ton for looking. Nothing better'n Jeep owners.

Eric

I would check your thermostat to see if it stuck open. It's cheap & easy.

Hey there folks! I have a 95 Wrangler 2.5 L that has me a little befuddled. I noticed on the way home yesterday that my temp gauge was sitting rather low for the amount of time I had been driving it (around 100 degrees). I watched it all the way home and it rarely moved. None of the typical heat to 190 then drop cycle. When i got home I checked the hoses... top hose was as hot as expected, but the lower hose was barely warm. After the rig cooled I checked the coolant level, and it was satisfactory. I did note a squeaky coming from the fan area, and my thought is this: Could my fan clutch be stuck causing the fan to spin constantly which in turn is cooling the engine too efficiently to reach the temp required for the thermostat to release?

Thanks a ton for looking. Nothing better'n Jeep owners.

Eric

If you have an IR thermometer point at the thermostat housing that will gove you the results with out pulling the thermostat out. If all is well check the sending unit look for a lose wire if ok check the resistance to ground I do not have the chart for the ohms at a particular temperature may be someone else does. If the stat and sending unit is ok then it is the gauge.

I would guess stuck t stat or bad temp sensor or connection.

i agree, sounds like a stuck thermostat. The same thing happened to a buddy of mine, and like gp-man said, it was easy and cheap to fix!

X2 on stuck open T-stat, replace it soon.

Your engine needs to run at 190* to keep the air/fuel mix atomized.
At lower temps, condensed liquid fuel washes the oil off the cylinder walls greatly reducing engine lifespan. (Ring wear will be accelerated)

The 2.5L is a cool running engine generally, so if something isn't operating correctly it could run on the cool side as you describe. I rarely have to turn my electric fan on, run with no fan most of the time.

Back