Crack in door...

Quinners

Does anyone else have this in their TJ? A small, small crack in the door (full metal) itself near the corner of the window (nearest the handle)...it looks like it has been there for awhile under the rubber trim, but I can just now see it. It is on the driver's side door only...I suppose due to use/stress?! The doors are not on full time - taken off in the summer months. Help!![addsig]

yeah, i have the same thing in my Yj, wish i could tell u y[addsig]

yeah, thats whats happening to mine, its right under neath where the small triangular window and the big window meet, the drivers door is almost 3" long now and the passenger door is just starting, i tach welded them so hopefully it wont crack any further.[addsig]

My 93 YJ has the same thing, right under the small triangle window...I think it's pretty common.[addsig]

That seems to be like a stress point ........ seems like an odd location though since there isn't any sharp edge or anything. My buddy noticed the cracks when I purchased my Jeep but didn't believe the guy that sold that it was a stress point. Well, he took a better look at his Jeep and guess what, the crack is starting on his too!!!

Craig[addsig]

That is a stress crack. Sooner or later it finds it's way to most all Jeeps. There is a band-aid fix to keep it from cracking further. Drilll a very small hole at the end of the crack and this usually stops the travel. I have a 1989 YJ, used as a daily driver and for weekend rock crawling. Both of my doors have suffered the same cracks. I finally decided to repair them. I used a putty knife to pry back the rubber trim at the top. Lightly groung out the crack with a die grinder, fired up the mig welder, thru down a bead into the groove, (Make sure the window is rolled up)(and don't weld the putty knife to the door) sanded and finished with some touch up spray. Can't even tell it was done. Cost, about ten bucks for both doors. That was four years ago and the cracks have never returned.

Good Luck.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back