Dana 35 made big snap sound

1989hog

minding my own business, a rocky rutted up hill got in my way. Heard a real good snap , Tire and axle slid right out as I drove away. I went back to camp, had a new axle brought out fixed it finished the weekend. Thats a pain in the behind with a locker and C clips. So I do not want to do it again. The sound was cool though. Today I went to a few Junk yards, no dana 44 but I did find a Crysler 8.25 so I took it out of a 93 jeep wagon thing. Same size drum to drum as my YJ so I think I got a good start. ( My restrictor plate Is not happy I did this before Christmas considering the Dana 35 is workin fine) so being cost effective any Ideas on doing the change over so I don't do this more than once. I'll just tell the restrictor plate its her Cristmas gift.
But seriously any advise on doing the swap would be appreciated . I'm thinkin I'll regear the front to mach the 8.25 as my stock gears are 3.07 and that sucks way bad but I really can't gear them both right now ( restrictor plate thing, I do'nt want to be hangin with Hulk Hogan in devore court).

The swap is pretty straight forward. If the perch width doesn't match your D35 then you will have to cut the old ones off your 8.25 and install some new ones. Put the 8.25 under there and bolt the springs up snug before you weld the perches in. Loosely bolt the driveshaft back in and check the pinion angle. When you are happy with it, you can tack the perches in place, then remove your u-bolts and weld them in.
Other things to investigate are brake line and e-brake cable adaptation and driveshaft length.

if the cherokee was a 6cyl 5 speed it should have 307 gears in it

is your jeep spring over if not you will have to cut off the perches and reweld new ons on .
the 8.25 should have a bigger axle but the lowest gear you can go is a 4.56 gear in the 8.25.

the Cherokee was an atoumatic. It has 3.55 gear so I think I'm going to wait long enough to gather enough money together and regear both the front and the new rear to 4.10 or 4.56. I think 4.88 would be alot of fun but not really needed for the desert driving that I do. Also Already took the spring pearches off and they are in good shape, so I can reuse, although I already ordered the new ones. Not real excited about the cost of regearing or the dificulty. I realy thought alot about spring over but thats a major cost that I really can't swing (but it would be the time to do it). I think the 8.25 is strong enough to handle 33s or better or so I've heard.

The e brake is the same differant lenght cables not a big deal to change, the brakes are a bit larger so thats cool. Brake lines are the same so thats cool the drive shaft I think will be fine but won't know thill go to bolt up but the U jounts are the same. The worst thing I can tell I have is the gearing issue and another locker , Just Empty Every Pocket ......just takes money and more money every time. If the the "restrictor plate" only knew how much was already spent on it she'd want to sell it and buy a silly ring or something. when is what I really need Is a front and rear RING GEAR.

Back