Dana 44's

49willyscj3a

I'm wondering what you guys think. In my Willy's I'm dropping in a stock Chevy 5.7L TBI engine from a '90 k1500. Dont know what trans. or t-case I'm gonna run yet. I have the opportunity to pick up a front and rear set of 44's out of a Rubicon that are already loaded with ARB's. I'm gonna have stout drivelines built. Do you all think the Dana 44's will hold up with 33" or 35" tires ok, or do I need to step up to D60's? Thanks in advance for any input.

I'm running 33s with a Dana 35 with chromoly axles so I'm thinking you should be perfectly fine with a Dana 44.

I've been running 33's on my CJ5 with an AMC 20 for 3yrs. Treated it pretty rough at times, crossing big logs in the woods plus some burnouts on pavement. The 44's are considerably stronger so you should be fine. I'm planning an LS1 5.3 for my '81 Scrambler build, I'll use 44's on it. Personally the only way I'd use D60's would be If I was running 37's or bigger, alot of HP and rock crawling. The 60's housing is big and will need 37's to give it some ground clearance. Also they're pretty heavy.

Thank you for the info you guys. Looks like right now I have a Dana 30 front and AMC 20 rear. I think Im gonna go with the 44's on both ends.

49willyscj3a, I seen a pic of your jeep in the "what did you do to your jeep today" section. I noticed the front portion of your frame sticks out further than mine and wondered if that was a different frame. When I seen in this section that you have a dana30 front and AMC20 rear, im pretty sure you do have a later cj5 frame under your jeep, what trans and tcase do you have? the AMC20 will not work with the factory tcase that came in your jeep. If indeed you do have a later frame it will make fitting your v8 a little easier plus you gain a few inches in wheel base over the original frame plus the later frame Is stronger, Pluses anyway you look at it. By the way, did I say I freakin love your jeep?

correction, the AMC20 will work with the spicer18 tcase but only a AMC20 from a quadra track with the offset rear axle

49willyscj3a, I seen a pic of your jeep in the "what did you do to your jeep today" section. I noticed the front portion of your frame sticks out further than mine and wondered if that was a different frame. When I seen in this section that you have a dana30 front and AMC20 rear, im pretty sure you do have a later cj5 frame under your jeep, what trans and tcase do you have? the AMC20 will not work with the factory tcase that came in your jeep. If indeed you do have a later frame it will make fitting your v8 a little easier plus you gain a few inches in wheel base over the original frame plus the later frame Is stronger, Pluses anyway you look at it. By the way, did I say I freakin love your jeep?
Thank you for all the info and the compliment! I'm still kinda digging around in this thing to figure out what its hiding, ie... transmission, t-case, frame and so on. The guy I bought from didnt give much info. I dont think he built it. I just need to clean off the oil and dirt and find all the numbers. It already has a carbed chevy V8 in it. He said 350 but Im not sure. Could be 305. All I know is the wife said I could start workin on it. Kinda my fathers day present. What you told me is more help than anyone has given me yet. Thank you!

49willyscj3a, Can u post some pics of your jeep and I can try to tell you what it is frame and drivetrain wise, with a brief description of the trany gear shif pattern, 3,4,5 spd. take shots from all four sides taken from down low so I can see underneath. I noticed you suspension is spring over but it appears that your springs are installed upside down. I can only see part of the front passenger side spring, but it does appear upside down, look at the spring clamps and the way the spring plate in bolted on.??

49willyscj3a, Can u post some pics of your jeep and I can try to tell you what it is frame and drivetrain wise, with a brief description of the trany gear shif pattern, 3,4,5 spd. take shots from all four sides taken from down low so I can see underneath. I noticed you suspension is spring over but it appears that your springs are installed upside down. I can only see part of the front passenger side spring, but it does appear upside down, look at the spring clamps and the way the spring plate in bolted on.??
Ok. Ya, I will snap a bunch of shots as soon as I'm able. I messed up my back pretty good taking the engine, trans., and T-case out yesterday. I should have drank more beer. Lol. I really appreciate you offering to help me figure out what I have here. It's nice to know there are good people out there! Someone tried to scam me out of $1700 yesterday. I'm trying to sell my Toyota Tundra wheels on Craigslist and he started this huge ball of crap ending up with him wanting me to wire money with Western Union. I told him to never text me again. Kinda makes me think twice about humanity these days. Thanks again. I will take pics as soon as Im able.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz

When ever you get the time. Sorry to hear about your back, I know the feeling, hurt mine about a year ago pushing a wheel barrel on a muddy path. I would be glad to try and help you with any questions you have about your jeep, heck if you lived closer I'd probably come help build it. Wel, rest that back and post the pics when ever you get to it, no hurry.

Back