Dealership is trying to pull one over

judge09

Ok...I need some help from the real technical guys. My transmission in the 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra trac was acting up and I took it into the dealership because I have a used car warranty. Most of the repair is covered but the dealership is trying to charge me for something that the warranty place isnt covering. The charge is on the transmission. They are charging me $500 for a transmission teardown and the warranty place said all they needed to do was remove the transmission pan. Is there any way to tell the clutch is shot by just removing the transmission pan?

What was wrong? What sort of syptoms and what did they try to do

RE: commander commercial

I think he is saying clutch bands in an auto transmission. The answer to that is...No. Unless they have made significant changes to trannies since the TH400 I'm used to looking at then, no you can't see the clutch bands with the cover off. All you can see is the valve body and fliter really.
Why does the warranty not want to cover the transmission rebuild?
What were the symptoms?

Need a Job? Al-Qaida's Hiring

I think what is meant by just dropping the pan is to visually inspect the fluid and especially the "clutch band deposits" in the bottom of the pan, if any. LBR

the warranty place says it more cost effective for them to drop the pan and look for metal filings and then just replace the whole transmission rather than rebuilding it. So I still dont know why the dealership tore it all down. The symptoms where the gear was not engaging right away when shifting from park to drive and I dont think I had overdrive. Right not it looks like I am on the hook for the $500 unless I can get the dealership to eat it somehow

the warranty place also said you can tell the transmission clutch was shot because they got a low pressure code on the check engine light. Does that make any sense to you guys?

RE: Undercarriage Cancer

When you shift from park to drive, the transmission goes into 1st gear and 1st gear is probably the last clutch pack that should go bad. 2nd, 3rd and od will usually go bad first due to the shifting slippage from racing, towing or regular driving. In light of that, sluggish response when drive is selected would be low pressure as you had mentioned...filter needs replaced, bad pump, valve body issues etc. When I drop a pan and see a normal amount of metallic and lots of clutch material, I feel it is rebuildable..... if I see more that usual amounts of metallic, even tho there may be no clutch material, I deem it a replacement instead of a rebuilder. Large amounts of metal filings can indicate bearing failures and the clutch packs, sun gear, etc have been eating away on the close tolerances of the case and not worth tearing down to rebuild. My opinion is that to tear down that transmission for those symptoms was overkill on their part and should have been cleared thru you with a good-faith estimate first...you then could have them continue or veto their efforts with no big surprises (such as the $500.00) LBR

Re: RE: How much of a motor mount lift is needed for a flat

Hold on now....as much as dealerships cling to the fine print of those warranties......

Screw them. The warranty company siad it wasn't needed, and they knew you had the warranty. It's their responsibility. I've already gone through the warranty nightmare with that crappy transmission TWICE. Don't cut those suckers any slack and raise hell like a lunatic.

H3 Bulbs

Junkpile said:
Hold on now....as much as dealerships cling to the fine print of those warranties......

Screw them. The warranty company siad it wasn't needed, and they knew you had the warranty. It's their responsibility. I've already gone through the warranty nightmare with that crappy transmission TWICE. Don't cut those suckers any slack and raise hell like a lunatic.

I think my only option now is to raise a little hell. I know I am definitely not going back to that place anytime soon, once I get the jeep back ofcourse.

I wouldn't pay them a dime. That is what you bought the warranty for. It's not your fault they didn't listen to the warranty people.

same thing happened to my girls 2000. the stealership wanted to do a transmission swap/ rebuild..... i told her to get in the jeep and take it to a friends shop. turns out it was the clutch pressure plate and the pressure plate solenoid. with labor and every thing else it cost me less than 400 bux. he told me he has seen this too often in the GC and most people who drive them into the dealership "soccer moms" just say o.k. fix it & pay

my .02

Don't mean to hi-jack the conversation here, but just wanted to add 2 cents about dealerships in general.

I can name several of them that are just crooked, for instance GM just had to fly down here and take back a dealership they had given to a minority owner to be PC. They gave the guy a birdnest on the ground and set him up, all he had to do was sell cars and trucks and make a profit. Instead, he ran it into the ground with shady business practices in under 4 years...

I mean, I don't mind someone trying to make a buck, but I just watch my back real good with some folks........

RE: Holy Mud-Buggy Batman

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. More often then not the dealerships i have dealt with have been scum!

Back