decision on lift shackles?

rtoney9

I have decided to go with 1.5"-2" lift shackles on my YJ. It is a 95 and in very good condition. Should I worry about the bushings or not? use old ones or get new polys? Greaseable or not? I have no idea about the pros or cons of the different types of shackles Please Help Me.

will do it myself? how long will it take,and do I NEED an impact wrench or will brute human force get the bolts off and on?[addsig]

I installed my 4" suspension lift myself...here is a few tips:

A: Air tools are nice, mine suck and couldn't break those rusted bolts.

B: PB Blaster is your very best friend in this matter....use it generously (spray all the nuts and bolts you plan to remove at least 24 hours prior to removing them then spray them again right before you take em off)

C: Good hand tools will break the bolts...I used a 2 1/2 foot long piece of lead pipe over my 1/2 inch breaker bar and it did wonders

D: DO NOT hammer on the threaded end of anything...for bolts that won't come out put a nut on the end and put a couple turns on it then hammer it till its loose...

E: For a better ride don't tighten the shackle and eye bolts all the way down...use thread lock on them instead and get them just snug.

Hope that helps out. As far as bushings go..greasable are the best (they have a spigot so you can keep them easily greased for a good ride) but are expensive. I went with all poly because they last much longer (make sure to grease them real good). Rubber does not last as long but have a softer ride than poly. Your old ones are probably rubber and if they are in good condition I would just reuse them. Make sure to grease them when you take out the bolts.

Time is another issue...I would suggest at least a couple hours for replacing just the shackles. This may be shorter or longer depending on how hard the old bolts are to remove and your mechanical skill level.

Just a few tips...good luck with your mods.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

thanks for the tips. It helps me out alot. My buddy's Grandpaw has a body shop and said that I could use his toos and jacks, so maybe it will not take too long to complete.

Thanks again. have fun with your jeep

[addsig]

Back