Denver fights global warming, hey Mingez!

90Xjay

Denver targets global warming
Goal is equivalent of taking 500,000 vehicles off road

By Stuart Steers, Rocky Mountain News
June 11, 2007
Denver is gearing up to fight global warming, and residents may soon be asked to make personal sacrifices to help save the planet.

The new plan is aimed at making Denver a national leader in reducing gas emissions that have been linked to global warming, giving a major push to alternative energy, stepping up recycling and changing building codes to encourage energy conservation.

But the proposal also contains some ideas that may be unpopular, such as penalizing heavy users of electricity and natural gas and basing auto insurance premiums on the number of miles traveled.

read the whole story here

Yet another reason to not live in Colorado... I wish they would go more into detail on how recycling would cut down methane generation at landfills

Yet another reason to not live in Colorado... I wish they would go more into detail on how recycling would cut down methane generation at landfills

methane in landfills are a good thing.
heck landfill operators down here are pulling the gas off and processing it and selling it. Methane has allot of energy potential and is valuable

Methane in landfills is only good for the people that collect and sell it. Whatever escapes is a pollutant. The article says "methane gas from landfills is a major contributor to global warming." I had no idea. Even so, I don't know what removing recyclable materials from the landfill would do for methane production. Last I heard, plastic, aluminum, and glass don't degrade into methane. (although we should recycle them.)

How would you like to be the owner of an old house that will now have energy efficiency standards applied to it when you try to sell it? Spend now or your home value suffers later! Its good to impose standards on new construction.

The article says "methane gas from landfills is a major contributor to global warming."

[sarcasm]Well then... it must be true![/sarcasm]

I think the City of York should ban the annual Chili cook-off next year in order to reduce methane!

TwistedCopper;172552.......I think the City of York should ban the annual Chili cook-off next year in order to reduce methane![/QUOTE said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, I think I'm a major contributor.....:redface: :redface: :redface:

I need to figure out how to use it.......hmmmmmmmm...................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, I think I'm a major contributor.....:redface: :redface: :redface:

I need to figure out how to use it.......hmmmmmmmm...................

Mudwoman says you already know how to use it, you just need to figure out how to use it for good instead of evil! :lol:

Being from Denver I will give them some credit for "trying" to be more proactive than others. But penalizing its citizens for needing to drive more is BS. Especially when the mass transit system here in Denver SUCKS.. yea they are working on it but still its is bad compared to NY, Chicago or European cities. Easiest, cheapest and what would be probably the most helpful would be setting up a recylcling system that people would actually use cause of it being easy. Maybe set up some kind of insentive for recycling.

Bacon

This coming from the guy that lives in the armpit of the USA. :twisted:

Being from Denver I will give them some credit for "trying" to be more proactive than others. But penalizing its citizens for needing to drive more is BS. Especially when the mass transit system here in Denver SUCKS.. yea they are working on it but still its is bad compared to NY, Chicago or European cities. Easiest, cheapest and what would be probably the most helpful would be setting up a recycling system that people would actually use cause of it being easy. Maybe set up some kind of insentive for recycling.

Bacon

I agree with Bacon's post.

I like Denver, but it was never my first choice of places to live. I moved up here because I had some networking, friends, familiarity, and the program I first was accepted to is here. And the access to the outdoors is incredible!

However, Denver is still a smallish cow-town, with new money and tons of ignorance. That being said, I do like the effort being made, albeit misguided.

Recycling is a myth and a racket, and you all know how I feel about that. As for emissions, I agree that we need to cut down on them, however such sacrifices are outrageous to demand considering the horrible public transit system they have in place. In spite of the fact that the population is only 2.2 million, the city is very widespread and living without a car out here is impossible.

Of course comparing Denver to NY, Chicago and Europe is a bit unfair...
(NY 20 mil, SFbay 11 mil, Chicago 14 mil, etc.) all with at least 5x the population within the same amount of area. (or smaller)

Seattle, Miami, Phoenix, those are similar cities population-wise. Compared to Seattle, our light rail system is a straight-up joke when compared to the monorail.
However, Phoenix makes Denver look downright space-age. Mass transit in that horrible city is relegated to dudes in pickups saying "Hop-in" and being able to navigate the empty cheap domestic beer cans rattling around the back. :lol: :lol:

Whatever, once I graduate, I don't plan on staying here...I can't stand these stinking idiot Bronco fans.:p

Back