Desperately need help fixing my buddies' Wrangler PCM or Coil-Pack?

RagtopWrangler

So to give some background, the Wrangler is a 2004 that belongs to one of my best friends. He went to start it after driving it for months and it wouldn't start. Threw a code P0001 which came back to the Fuel Pressure Regulator failure. So I helped him replace the regulator and everything went smoothly and we retained fuel pressure all the way to the fuel rail. Was surprised to notice there wasn't an in-line fuel filter nor a schraeder valve on the fuel rail itself, so we disconnected the line into the rail and tapped the key and saw we were getting good fuel pressure. Cranked and cranked but didn't start or even sputter. He used a NOID light on the fuel injectors and they were all showing power.

So... the next day when I wasn't there he did some reading and determined the Crank Position sensor was bad, so he went and replaced that. Now all of a sudden the fuel pump is no longer working at all. We went through all the fuses and solenoids, resistors, etc and couldn't figure out a reason the fuel pump won't turn on now, but I know from experience that if the CPS isn't installed properly or doesn't work it won't allow the fuel pump to turn on.

Now we're back to square one... But I'm suspecting that in installing the CPS that he caused a short to the PCM, or that a coil had gone bad and not allowed the spark to make it to the distributor. I'm not very educated as far as coil-packs go....

So we're stumped and he's getting very frustrated, very fast. This same man spent tens of hours with me showing me how to do my first rod/main bearing replacements in my Ford with the motor still in it, so I'm trying my best to return the favor and help him fix his rig.

Please, any experience, info, or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY RESPONSES! :)

Use only OEM sensors. Others are bad right out of the box.

Besides the CPS replace the CKP.

Check rock auto.com for oem and oem replacement parts.

Last edited:
I agree with JPN with one exception to O2 Sensors. And that is because OEM sensors are too sensitive to exhaust system changes. I'm brain farting at the moment on the brand of O2 sensor to use, its Japanese made. The company makes spark plugs, but has a different name on their O2 sensors. I went through hell and High water when I put a high end cat back system on my 06 TJ with O2 sensor errors, until I installed this sensor... dammit I hate brain farts!
Had to go dig through my receipts from 2 tears back NTK.

Back