Early Hemi in a Jeep?

thehemi

Has anyone ever installed an early Hemi in a Jeep?
I am curious if the task has ever been done and/or
if the idea is feasible (without any major pains). :)
[addsig]

Although a hemi in a jeep would be awesome and the coolness factor would be huge i have never seen one done.. thats not to say it has never been done... (i live a very sheltered life)... there is something to say about a awkward swap... i don't know any parts store that has an abundence of on shelf parts for these bad boys let alone any one on the trail that would be able to help you out in a pinch.. now i'm not implying you will build an engine that is prone to fail or am i emplying you don't have parts handy... i just like to think about the variables...also... what about adapters for the trany... now... if you do put a hemi in your jeep i desperatly need to see some pictures... like i said the coolness factor is in the red... just my $0.02[addsig]

while helping an elderly neighbor clean his barn,i
literally tripped over a motor in the corner. he complained about it being in the way of his lawnmower and asked if i wanted it. turns out it's a 1959 dodge 315 hemi {265 hp , 330 ft. lbs} totally complete. being a "baby" hemi , it's much narrower than the famous 426 or even 392. it will also directly bolt up to a small block dodge bell housing. i have spent the last month reserching rebuild ideas for this mill and it will come to live between the framerails of my 84 cj-7 hopefully within 2 years. if you are reserching a simular project , e-mail me and i will share with you what i've come up with so far. all hail the mighty HEMI !![addsig]

fun, yes. a ton of work ? oh yes!!! i'm wondering about having to box the frame in. there is tons of potential to turn this bad boy into a tourqe monster. has anybody out there with a built small block had any problems with frame twist?[addsig]

Have you done any measurements to verify
there is room between the fenders w/o using
heavy surgery? I believe the transmission adapter
should not be any problem. Actual "fitting" of
a Hemi between the wells was my curiousity.

I do not have a Jeep or a Hemi yet, but I was
curious if this project has ever been done. I
would not be building an actual rock crawler,
just something fun and unique. I'm a big fan
of the Hemi (I run TheHemi.com) and I enjoy
Jeeps more than the average old Mopar boat.
[addsig]

the mesurments should be good. it will be interesting to see what kind of curves it throws at me though { oil pan clearence , exhaust, radiator + hoses, who knows what else} i dont expect it to be a bolt in, but with 2 years projected before i'll be able to afford to finish it i hope to have most of them figured out.[addsig]

I am told that the 331-392 series of early Hemis
are about the same "width" as a SBC w/ headers.
Since headers on the Hemi aim down, they make
up for the headers that aim out on the SBC, thus
giving an overall similar width. (Or so I am told.)

Although that does nothing to say about the depth,
height or any other factors like you mentioned, as
they are all interesting aspects to be checked out.
[addsig]

Youre right about the exaust clearances dimensions wise the 354 is 1" shorter at the deck and therefore not as wide as the 392
I stuffed a 57 354 into my 81 CJ7. I presently have it out but it fit fine. as to a bellhosuing a poly 318... early 318 came in many 1 ton and heavier trucks witha 4 speed industrial bell if you find that youll be in good shape because three of the four bolt holes work with a T-18 youll only have to drill and tap one more hole to bolt it up input length is a little tricky if i remember right i think we used the ford input but youll have to measure just to be sure.
For headers i used hot heads center dumps they hug the side of the block and improved flow.
The industrial heads are what i had to i already had the large exaust ports. It helps to put the motor on a diet too with and aluminum intake and timing cover. Presently my motor is in my garage being reassembled and married to a NV4500 which i am still touching up my home made adapter plate and a Dana 300 I am also re fitting my jeep with its factory air and installing the ac pump onto the Hemi.

Good Luck
Dusty[addsig]

Sweet, so it has been done. Excellent info.
You are just adding more fuel to my fire! :)

edited by: thehemi, Apr 10, 2003 - 03:39 PM[addsig]

Back