Electrical Questions

L33TJ33P

Ok we all know that I bought the Cherokee. Now I need some advice on how to wire the new Ignition system I am putting in place.

What I want:

first Toggle
On-Off-On (DPST) Will control Accessories and total OFF of the rig 25 - 35a @ 12VDC

ON: Will send power to the Second Toggle
OFF: Will turn off all Power and accessories
ON: Will turn Accessories on

Second Toggle:
On-Off (DPST) or (SPST) Will be inline with one of the ON's of the first toggle with will require both toggles to be ON to force the rig into (RUN) 25amp @ 12VDC

ON: Run
OFF: OFF (Of course ;) )

Push Button:
Momentary Switch for the (Start) button

Push to close 60amp @ 12VDC

For the actual Turning of the Starter.

I am trying to get this to require 3 toggles to be ON before the "Start" will go. This is including the Hidden Kill Switch. The visable Switches will be guarded by Aircraft Guards so as to not shut it off with a knee or whatnot while driving.

Now for the questions:

1: Will it work?
2: Any suggestions of a better way?
3: Should the "RUN" be in-line with the Accessories?
4: Any Wiring Diagrams available?
5: Anyone have the Downloadable Cherokee manual?

Sure it will work. Push button ignition - cool!

One thing I would change is the first switch could be a 2 position instead of a 3 position.

Just make one control the accessories and the other control everything else (as in the "on" position in a regular ignition switch). And use a momentary push button to engage the starter like you planned.
Really no need for having 2 switches do the same thing. It would simplify wiring too.

I imagine the hidden kill switch could simply be inline with the "on" switch.

I can't help you with a schematic, but all of these should already be properly fused and everything, so it should be an easy mod. Once you pull the switch out it may be more obvious than you think.

Good luck and snap a pic of the finished product.

With the exception of the hidden switch, you might want to consider lighted rocker switches if you have a good spot to mount them. They would look 10 times better and toggles might be hard to see at night plus they can get loose and spin. Just a thought.

Hi-Ya L33,

I am uncertain of why you are contemplating a three-switch ignition system.

If the objective is vehicle anti-theft security, an alternative and possibly less complex solution would be to build a "toggle-switch" ignition combination lock.

Picture, if you will, five dpdt switches mounted in-line in a Radio Shack project or "handy box." Mount the handy-box to hang below the dash. Note: the center ("off") position of the dpdt switches does nothing electrically - but does create a confusion factor for a car thief.

You might wire the switches as shown below. Merely put the completed five-switch box in series with the wire that presently goes from the ignition-starter switch at the base of the steering column, through the bulkhead connector of the firewall and to the starter solenoid.

dfxoi-3.jpg

To use this system, insert ignition key, select the super-secret personal "combination" via the toggle switches, incant: "Go, Go Gadget Starter," then start the vehicle as normal with ignition key. When leaving the vehicle, turn-off ignition, remove ignition key, put all toggle switches to up, or down, in the middle or any random sequence.

The "combination" would be determined by you according to how you jumper toggle switches-1 through -5.

(Note-1: This system earns "cool-points" for the Boeing 747 cockpit ambiance.)

(Note-2: Any car thief with the savvy to get under the hood and "hot-wire" the vehicle will easily defeat my system and your system.)

Another solution is to buy one of those car batteries with a key-fob remote control gizmo. The key-fob gizmo allows one to remotely disconnect/connect the vehicle battery. (A better vehicle anti-theft solution than a car alarm, in my opinion.)

A possible concern with the remotely activated battery system is the loss of the time setting of any vehicle clocks, any radio station presets and unknown complications with remote door lock and/or remote starter logic, should the vehicle be so equipped.

Regards,

Gadget

Gadget, why is it you remind me so much of Ross Perot?.....intelligent, common sense verbage and cool graphics. Do you have a pointer?

If your good with relays you could also have where you have to turn on a certain accessory in order to start jeep. Such as you have to turn on your radio before you are able to start. lots of possibilities.

The reason for all this is due to the Theaft of the Cherokee about a year ago. They Ripped the entire Colum off. No Key, no Wiper, no blinker. Basically instead of buying the entire column I would rather have the Aircraft guarded Toggles for my Ignition. :D

Plus each switch will prolly cost me 5 each so I can do this for under 50 bucks, that is including the 3 position switch for Blinker and Wipers :-D

L33TJ33P wrote:

The reason for all this is due to the Theaft of the Cherokee about a year ago. They Ripped the entire Colum off. No Key, no Wiper, no blinker. Basically instead of buying the entire column I would rather have the Aircraft guarded Toggles for my Ignition.

Ahhh! Now I understand what you are up to!

OK - disregard my previous post.

===============================

mud4feet wrote:

Gadget, why is it you remind me so much of Ross Perot?.....intelligent, common sense verbage and cool graphics. Do you have a pointer?

HAHAHAHA!!!! I'll take that as a compliment. :lol:

Not only do I have a pointer, I also usually have very shiny shoes and always have a really bad haircut - just like Ross!

I get haircuts in a hard-hat barbershop. The place is decorated with pictures of earth movers, cars, trucks, guns and the only mousse in the place is the ant'lered head mounted on the wall - not a fern in sight. :wink:

I miss ole H. Ross. I dunno if I want him to be president, but he was certainly an entertaining presidential candidate.

Regards,

H. Ross Gadget

Back