Engine dies accelerating in 3rd gear

steelerjeep

Have an '89 YJ, six cylinder. Haven't driven it in months because I had a leaking heater core. Over the weekend I braved that repair successfully and drove the Jeep in my neighborhood to check for leaks. Barely made it into 3rd gear in our development and couldn't push it because of our speed limit, and it seemed to run alright.

The next morning I jumped in it and headed out onto the main road. Accelerates just fine in 1st and 2nd, then into 3rd and push down on the accelerator and the engine died. I saved it once by dumping the clutch and revving the motor. Downshifted and got going again from a dead stop and same thing happened as soon as I hit 3rd gear.

Restarted just fine after that, idles okay, drove back to the house in 1st and 2nd. I'm guessing a carb problem, but also wondering if I knocked off a vacuum hose or did something else during the heater core replacement. Or could it be a computer problem.

I should note that this is just an occasional fun drive, no top of course, and it had been sitting for 5 months. I use ethanol free gas these days and add Stabil conditioner. New carb, distributor cap, fuel filter about a year ago at a local garage and it ran just fine last time out. Starts right up, just won't go in 3rd.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to troubleshoot this to get an idea of the possibilities. I'm not much of a mechanic but before I take it somewhere, I'd like to have some ideas.

My 94 YJ did the same thing it turn out to be fuel filter you can check it by driving with fuel cap off ... My Jeep had slot of vacuum when I removed cap ..

Sorry I disappeared. Rained for days, then a deep freeze, then traveling on job, then the battery was dead...... Tried it this week with the gas cap off, but no luck. Running it through the gears, shift at 2500 rpm in both first and second. Hit third gear and it starts out fine but when it hits about 1800 rpm, the engine cuts out like someone threw a switch. Doesn't just falter, it stops completely. If I let off the gas, clutch in then dump the clutch it catches and runs again. Goes fine so long as I keep the revs low in third. Idles okay (relatively speaking). Starts pretty easily. I gave it a modest dose of carb cleaner spray directly into the throat. Revs high in neutral without a miss. No luck.

Back