engine query

fireman32

a friend offered me a free 305 engine needing to be rebuilt, along with alot of new parts to many to type. would this be worth rebuilding for the jeep or is the hp gain worth it. how hard is it to install a gm 305 in a 89 yj. will transmission bolt up with a kit and will the factory axles take the torque of the stronger torque. jeep is all factory except for 2.5 suspension lift.
i guess the main question is can the factory jeep handle the 305 without alot of upgrades?

A V8 engine is always a good upgrade for horsepower however, you should ask yourself the question "do i NEED it". I've seen the Vortech 350 in a YJ and a 305 is not much different. The transmission would be the main concern in this case depending on which trans. you have. The axles can hold up for a little while depending on your driving habits. Advance adapters has the adapters you will need for mating the V8 to the original jeep transmission. You will need a new motor mount perches and brackets as well.

With a 1989 Wrangler you could have either the BA 10/5 or AX5 transmission and I’m not sure I would put either behind a V8 of any flavor and expect it to last too long (unless you baby the jeep); if so why bother with the V8. The Dana 35 rear is suspect too. In other words the cost of this swap will most likely be more than the motor. No big deal if you already plan on swapping them out too.

Mickey asks the right question, “Do you need it?” (Or do you just want it.)

thanks for the info, i dont really need it just liked the sound of more hp. you answered my main question as to whether the rest of the drive train would hold up and i didn't think it would for very long. i think i wil go ahead and get the engine and when mine dies maybe upgrade then, hopefully it will be a long time from now.
thanks again.

depending on the 305, the most powerful 305 was the TPI HO motor in the late 80's early 90's, the desgnation code escapes me right now, at best it will put aout about 195 hp and 210 ft-lbs. that being said, the 305 shares pretty much every extrenal part with any other small block chevy, some simply swapping in a warmed over 383 down the road is not hard assuming the trans is up to the task.

going to get it saturday, ill upgrade the jeep like everybodyelse, every chance i get, but this one will probably take awhile. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Back