Engine swaps

WODGES

Hey guys, I have a 1981 chevy 350 with a th400 automatic out of an old delivery truck I own. The engine has about 10,000 miles on a complete rebuild and around 8,000 miles on the transmission. The body of the truck is shot. I want to find a wrangler around 93 -95. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice. I do have a decent mechanical aptitude and really enjoy rebuilding. I have a 1978 f250 high boy which I did a frame off restoration.

i would look for an 87-90 since they were carb'd already. no point in taking off perfectly good fuel injection to undo wires for a carb'd motor.

couple things to note;

depending on your state, swapping an older motor into a newer chassis is not going to pass smog.

second, that motor is not exactly a high horse motor, you mentioned a rebuild, was it a stock spec rebuild and if so, any massage work done to those heads? 73-87 SBC iron heads flow some miserable CFM's. at a minimum, replace the 90 pound cast manifold with an aluminum one, it will cut a lot of weight out of the 350.

Lastly, in order to get the TH400 to tuck up nice and high in the frame, expect to cut the trans tunnel, it is a tad bit small.

That is why this site is so great. You guys really know your stuff. When the 350 was rebuilt , I had to replace the heads (cracked). A machinist friend of mine had a set of heavey duty heads (he said). the motor/trans combo came from a 1981 c30 (1 ton) delivery box truck. I am not looking for racing or ground pounding , just want a nice driver that can get out of its own way. I figured since I have the motor and trans and they are in great condition , I might as well use them if possible.

I live in Florida and no inspections here at least there haven't been any for 20 or so years. So the engine age thing I don't think would be a concern.

then do it. if you are simply looking for a fun cruiser, I'd sell/trade the TH400 (since you stated it's a C30, I am going to assume it's a 2wd trans) and get a 4wd 700R4, slightly deeper first gear and you will get an over drive. if the 700R4 still has a T-case attached to it, most likely a np208, not a great t-case due to crappy Lo gearing, but again, if your just cruising around, I'd run it. your stock D300 is worth more at re-sale anyways.

Back