Exhuast Question

one4jeep

I have a '97 TJ with a strange problem. When I accelerate hard, I can hear the exhaust manifold hit the front drive shaft. Has anyone ever experienced this? Does anyone know what may be the cause? Any help would be great.
image-missing.png

Are you sure that it is the exhaust hitting the front drive shaft? I would imagine the easiest place to start is to climb underneath and pull on everything. See if you can actually get the exhaust to bang into anything, and if so find out what is broken. The usual culprit is a broken exhaust hanger which is under $10 and easy to do.

Good luck,
Terry

if you dont see or find anything loose, take a close look at your motor mounts and transmission mount.

WILLYS - I was thinking the mounts may be the culprit. I want to find out if anyone has had the same problem. There is about 1" between the two components, and I would like to know if this is normal or a design flaw.

TERRYMASON - I have done a visual, and can confirm that it is the manifold (Why they call this thing a manifold I do not know, it looks more like a header) and front drive shaft. On the front drive shaft, I can see a ware ring around the shaft, and a corresponding ware mark on the exhaust.

Thanks for the help................
image-missing.png

Back