Extending spare tire bump stops for different offset rims and larger tires

jtm703

I need to extend the bump stops on the tailgate to accomodate a 32 X 11.5 tire on a 4" offset rim. The new tire/wheel setup has left quite a gap compared to the stock Canyon rims and 30 X 9.5 tires. The gap is about 3/4".

I've tried to find used bump stops to cut and add to the current ones with no luck.

Anyone have other ideas/solutions? I figured there might be a way to do it using hardware store parts (like the quick disco's I made for the front sway bar), but I'm out of practical ideas.

Thank you.

I need to do this myself. I was thinking of using longer screws and pieces of pvc pipe. Just use the pipe as a spacer.

Maybe it is because I am Canadian but on my jeep I used longer bolts with a hockey puck under the original rubber stops, worked great no issues in 2 yrs.then i went to 35s and ditched the carrier altogether.hockey pucks are 3" in diameter and aproxx 1 1/4" thick

Hockey pucks??? Awesome! Not something I would have thought about...very clever.

I did find some solid rubber stoppers at the local Ace hardware store in the fasteners aisle...think I'm going to use those under the stock bump stops. Plan to drill holes, test the fit and cut as needed, then get longer screws to secure it all. It won't look perfect, but should do the job.

A friend of mine has a 33" tire on the back of his 2000 TJ, and it's starting to affect his tailgate and the tire mount, so we need to do the same to his.

Here's what I ended up doing:

Bought 2" X 1.5" rubber stoppers from the hardware store (3), and longer screws (2") with a matching thread pattern. Drilled holes through the stoppers, then mounted the stock rubber on top of them. Parts were around $12. Quick, cheap, and easy. See photos attached.

Attachments

• Random 001.jpg
    Random 001.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 2,384
  • Random 002.jpg
    Random 002.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Random 019.jpg
    Random 019.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 3,042
Hockey Pucks are very usefull on a Jeep... Can also be used as Body Lift!

I used ABS plastic on mine, as I needed to extend quite a bit (had to put in a spacer to clear the rear bumper). Here's how it looks like (ABS also comes in black, but I could not find it):

DSC001681-1.jpg

Wow...you did have to extend quite a ways. Would've take 2 or 3 stoppers to make that distance.

If you aren't happy with the PVC color, can't you spray paint them black? Krylon makes a plastic paint.

Yeah, I COULD paint them... If I were not so lazy, at least! I was going to hit them with the rattle can liner black, but never did get around to it. Now I'm kind of used to them.

What did you guys use to space the wheel out from the mount? I can't even get my 33x12.50 to mount on the stock spare bracket.

Personally, I didn't have to do anything, since the different backspacing on the new rims pushed the tire out farther from the tailgate.

Are you mounting the 33" tire on the stock rim, or a rim with similar backspacing?

Without being there to test fit the tire/rim to the stock spare tire bracket, my guess is that you have two issues:

1) the third light is in the way
2) you can't get the rim to sit flush with the bracket

If those are the issues, you can first remove the thrid light bracket and leave it off, use an aftermarket extension, or replace it with a different type of third light (there are several options).

Also, you can use thick washers or bushings on the studs as a temporary fix.

Can you test fit and post photos?

I pulled the third light before trying to put the tire up there. Problem is the tire hits the bumper and wont mount flush, then if I open the gate, the tire falls flush and I can't close it. Not a huge deal. Right now the whole carrier is off and I have the tire in the back. I'll be getting a bumper shortly with a spare carrier so I'm not going to sweat it for now.

you can also get a couple of cheap rubber mallets at the hardware store and slice them and use for spacers. ;)

Cool idea, Jeeper.

Where'd you get the skull Jeep emblems??? Me likey!

I'm pretty sure I read the rubber mallet idea on here somewheres in the past, but I've been asleep since then.......lol

I Found a sticker shop on ebay that made them for me.

Last edited:
Back