Factory wheel backspacing

DerekC

RE: Got the lift on

Well now that the rig is lifted and on real tires I need to widen the track a little. What is the factory wheel backspacing. 80 cj7 with the factory chrome wheels??
-D-

Don't know about CJs, but the YJ came with 5.25" backspacing. Depending on your tires, your lift, your axles, and your state laws, I would suggest 3.75" backspacing. Most tire shops will be able to help you find the right bs for your rig.

corey

Re: RE: Skiing

Thank you. I am looking at going to a 3" back space but on a 10" wide rim. That should put me about 4-4.5"s wider and and with that on each side so 8-9" wider wil be nice and stable.

-D-

Well since I am a licensed vehicle inspector I can say, no, there are no laws regarding tire width. There is on lift. Headlights may not be more than 54" from ground, but I do not see it enforced, F250s running around here as tall as a house(almost) and nobody says a word.
-D-

Most laws regarding tire width are if the tire protrudes outside the fender wells then it might be an issue.

Corey

greetings!

I've heard that wheel spacers are a real bad idea because thhey put a lot of stress on the axles (?). Does less backspacing have the same effect?

RE: speedo gear?

Wider rims (or decreasing backspacing in most applications) adds stress to the bearings in the same way as spacers, but it seems to me like it wouldn't be as severe. With a wider wheel the mounting location in relation to the bearings remains consistant. The spacers, it would seem, would compound the extra leverage by moving the mounting point out further. They both add stress, but a wider wheel would be better. It's not that big of a deal though.

RE: Jeep transporting help needed

I don't really see a problem with spacers. Keep closer tabs on the condition and service of the wheelbearings. Keep a check on the tightness of the studs also.

RE: Jeep transporting help needed

As long as you are not looking to go 4" out or anything drastic like that... spacers are fine

Which one

Normally I wouldn't fret about the track width for a reasonable lift, but the narrow track axles are just TOO narrow. For 2.5" of lift and 33s, I wouldn't really worry about it. Maybe an inch or so if it makes you feel better. The Wranglers have wide axles, that's why they come with such large backspacing on the factory rims.
If a Wrangler had the exact same size wheels and tires as your CJ, the Wrangler would have a 7" wider track width. A wide track CJ would be about 3" wider. That's what most people do with the narrow tracks when they run spacers......go with a 1.5" spacer and it makes it into a widetrack. It looks alot better and is more stable

Front axle widths: NT CJ= 53"+/-
WT CJ= 56"
YJ/TJ= 60"
NT Wagoneer= 58.5"
WT Wagoneer= 63"(?)
Scout II= 58"
Early Bronco= 60"(?)
Fullsizes= About 67"

Considering the extra weight and height that a similarly equipped narrow track Wagoneer would have to run the same size tires as you, your CJ would probably be more stable even at factory width.

Ok, so if I run 1 inch spacers. how would I go about doing the maintenance to keep my axles from fallin apart?

Just keep a check on the condition of the wheel bearings. The spacer will bolt on with the factory wheel studs and then the wheel bolts to it. Periodically check the tightness of both sets of lugs.

Back