Faded Flare Remedy

JohnnyO

Got this tip from another Jeeper when I was at the recycling center one day.
I had just gotten it and mentioned that I was going to get new flares since the originals were so faded and all the Back To Black in the world wasn't helping. This dude said not to bother, just get Krylon Fusion paint and hit them with that. I had to go to a couple of stores before I found it in black satin. Just rub the flares with acetone, mask off the body, and it works like a charm. :shades: Got the rears done so far, I'll get the fronts tomorrow.

Another trick that works is taking a torch to them. Just run a simple propane torch over them quickly and it brings them back. A heat gun works well also.

Last edited by a moderator:
:thisthreadisworthle

I bought regular rustoleum paint.Cost me about $6.00 to do all 4 flares,plastic piece on bumper and mirrors.

I did it with krylon and it worked like a charm. Now i need to buy a can of that ruberized undercoating and spray my bumper cause that thing is rusting badd. Or maybe a powder coat lol :D

Or a nice shiny new bumper with all the goodies.... if you have to talk the wife into it :D awesome idea though i might have to do that too one day. Another good tip is if u have a soft top and your windows r getting ugly to see out of; wax them inside and out the dust and water beads right off.

I wonder why the torch works?
Sorry no pics, it was raining and I did it in the garage. I do have old the LF short piece that I replaced because a chunk was missing out of it. When it stops raining I'll take it outside and get a pic. The Krylon Fusion says it is made for plastic, so I'm guessing that means it will flex and not crack.

got me? i wonder how long it would last doing it that way?

I've had painted flares before and never had much luck with them. My tj had painted flares when I got it. The guy previous to me had used automotive grade plastic paint. Looked great untill I flexed a flare out on a tree and then it was all down hill from there. This is what they looked like with fresh paint. Now I just run stock and take a torch to them once a year

p1010024-1.jpg

I found a quick and permanent fix for mine....

I use pickup bed liner spray. I lightly sanded flares before using. Prepped them with acetone to give them a tack surface. You MUST do the Acetone quickly as it will cause disruption in the surface of the flares.
(This was all done with the flares removed)

Spray the liner spray in a moderate fashion and it will give you the same crinkle on the flares as you see with the liner sprayed in a pickup truck.

This finish will last for at least two years before beginning to craze due to sun damage.

Ask your favorite technician at an Auto dealership )who uses the liner spray regularly) and he will recommend the best brand in your area

I used the Krylon on my flares 4 years ago, and now needs to be repainted.
Just wipe them down with acetone or denatured alcohol before painting.

I tried the heat gun on some bumper jugs I had laying around in the garage. It made the world of difference and cost 0.00. I'll definately be trying that on the fenders and other parts that are fading. It's right in my price range of making the jeep purty! 8)

The torch or heat gun works due to the heating of the plastics brings their natural oils back to the surface. I have been doing that on my wifes truck for a couple years. After they go black again wipe them down to smooth the oils out and your good for 8 mos to a year. (At least here in Fl, it is 8 mos to a year)

you guys ever try peanut butter? its an old bmw guy trick. it puts the oils back in the plastics. sounds funny but works. can't tell you how long it works but someone can try and let us know. my flares are body color so i cannot try it

Back